Sign in to follow this  
Dinger

do i need to partition my hard drive?

Is your Mac's hard drive partitioned?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is your Mac's hard drive partitioned?

• Yes
    • No

Im switching from windows to a macbook pro (as soon as it arrives) and on my windows system I have partitioned my hard drive in to several smaller drives - partly to keep things apart and partly so that when i need to re-install windows that all of my non OS files are safe.

Do you think i should do the same with my MBP when it arrives? if so, how much space should i make for the OS X installation + programs/updates?

I used to do the same on Windows, but on the Mac I don't feel the need. I now backup semi-regularly just for the sake of a hard drive failure, but really you don't need to worry about formatting the partition and starting again for two reasons:

1. Things don't generally "break" as much as on Windows

2. When they do an Archive and Install usually sorts it without disturbing your data in any way

That said it's personal preference. I can tell you that a basic OS install can be as little as 2GB (without languages etc.), updates don't take more than a gig (installed, usually but I haven't tested that theory much) and apps don't take up too much room depending what you want to install.