Updates:

Core 2 Duo processors (really?)

1GB standard for 2 "upper" models

DL Superdrives for 2 "upper" models

120GB HDD for BlackBook

and everything else is pretty much the same

Edited by cherry su

:o

I ordered a Macbook last week, the mid version with a 1Gb upgrade... got an email to say it was dispatched yesterday....

*goes into corner to sulk*

Edited by chrishoo

:o

I ordered a Macbook last week, the mid version with a 1Gb upgrade... got an email to say it was dispatched yesterday....

*goes into corner to sulk*

return it and buy the new one!!!

return it and buy the new one!!!

yeah definitely. you get like a 14 day period where if they make any major upgrades you can return it and get the newer model!

Well, while sulking, I managed to reach for the phone and called Sales

And as testament to the fantastic Apple sales, the person on the other end (who only received the news of the upgrade 5 minutes prior), told me that when the package arrives, just hold on to it, email her and a 'replacement (ie newer C2D unit)' would be sent out.

Also I had one of those interest free loans going, and she said they'll ammend the amount (basically I save a few £££ because I have the newer unit and not having to upgrade the RAM or HD).

So the cost to me is just a few more days...

Very satisfied apple customer here! :D

Awesome! Concrats on the new MacBook Core 2 Duo :D

Well I got mine from work on Thursday and because I didn't buy direct from Apple I can't get a replacement. That is very annoying!

I just heard about this. It's too bad...now I have to live with knowing that my MacBook is obsolete...oh well...it had to happen sometime.

Can someone explain the double layer superdrive concept to me? I don't understand. I think I have a single layer.

Yeah you can max out now with 200 GB hard drive. That's a lot. But why can't you get 4 GB RAM with the Core 2 Duo? I thought it was capable of that.

Dual layer is a concept and technology used to store information (usually DVD-Video) in, er, two layers on the same side of a DVD - such normally having just the one "write" side - the shiny one of course. Single layer, logically enough, means only one layer of data is stored. Much of the technology (in simple and complex ways) is available here. The term "Superdrive" is that used by Apple to describe drives capable of writing DVDs as opposed to the more generic term "Combo" which describes drives capable of writing CDs but not DVDs - though they can read DVDs. Both the Superdrive and Combo can read dual layer DVDs but not all Superdrives can write dual layer. To find out what you've got click on the Apple top left, choose "About This Mac", click on "More info", seek and click on "Disc Burning" in "Hardware" and if you see "DL" against "DVD-Write:" then you've got a dual layer capable drive. I've got a PowerPC Mac mini which were not advertised as shipping with such but it has one - and a 1.5Mgz processor which was similarly not advertised.

I don't know about the memory limit - though given that the MacBook Pro can take 3Gb and the MacBook only 2Gb it's a bit odd. Maybe it's a limitation of the motherboard - in both cases if what you say is the case.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

LOL that's so sweet, I'm ordering one on Sunday or Monday. B)

The original model has been superseded, but is far from obsolete. At least I got 5 months out of mine before something better came out. Can't ask for more than that when it comes to computers. As far as where things are changed, the Core 2 apparently clocks in about 10% faster than a Core 1 at the same speed. Standard 1gb RAM and increased hard drives are really the nicest upgrades here, but I've put 2gb RAM and a 100gb hard drive in mine since buying, so no difference to me. A slightly faster SuperDrive is nice, but I rarely use it in a laptop and I've never had occasion to burn a dual-layer DVD. Overall, current MacBook owners shouldn't feel too left out.

Kinda sucks for Matt though, since it was so recent and non-exchangable. I really didn't expect them to drop the Core 2 in the non-pro model yet. Speed bump to 2.0/2.16 maybe. I wonder if MacBooks cannibalize the sales of MacBook Pros due to them being so close? I know it did for me, I was looking at a MBP until the regular MB came out. There's just so little to differentiate the $2,000 MBP from the $1,300 higher end MacBook. There's only the marginal 10% or so speed difference between the old 1.83 and the new 1.83. RAM, optical drive, etc is the same, so it's not as terrible a loss between those.

Edited by Trium Shockwave

I agree Trium, I have a 2.5 year old PowerBook and it's far from obsolete, it's obviously not the newest model out there, but until it can't get email or surf then it'll never be "obsolete" to me.

roog

Yeah I agree with you guys. I maxed out my MacBook RAM and I upgraded to 100 GB hard drive, so I don't feel too bad.

I bet the "10%" increase is hardly noticeable. I downloaded the iStat nano widget, and my CPU readings are always much less than 50%. Core Duo still kicks ass.

That's the thing. You almost never use all of the CPU. The only time it'll make a difference is when encoding something, so these minor speed bumps you don't feel very much. If you pulled out a stopwatch and timed things like encoding, you'd be able to tell. Like I said, the more interesting part of this is the increased standard RAM, hard drive sizes, and double layer burning support.