Sign in to follow this  
houltmac

Power Mac Kernel Panic

Okay, so I have a Power Mac G5 (late 2005) that I have been fighting with all day. It has had a logic board replacement and we have swapped out every part with a known working machine to no avail. Even if we run the machine with everything unplugged (even fans, leaving only PSU, MLB and F I/O) then the symptoms continue without fail.

It will boot to it's own internal drive fine (regardless of the drive) but it's own OS needs repairing with an Archive Install. Booting to any other device such as FW, NB, NB Disk, Optical.... they all cause a BSD Kernel Panic...

Anyone have any ideas?

If you've replaced everything, including I assume the motherboard and power supply, maybe it's some cable you're reusing? Or something's touching and shorting someplace. I dunno, that's about all I can think of.

If it was just not working somewhere I could understand, but I can't believe a power supply could cause BSD level kernel panics and I really can't believe it would be picky about doing so based on boot volume used. It has had a logic board replacement (the odds of two boards showing the same behavior is too slim in this case to consider it a possibility in my mind), it's clean, no loose cable or screws, tested all the hardware and it's fine.

We even backdated the firmware to no avail.

If it's a late 2005 model it should still be under warranty (in theory) so I would ask Apple to replace the whole unit.

Unfortunately this is not an option. The logic board has been replaced under warranty to no avail it seems. The unit is unlikely to be considered acceptable for replacement by Apple at this time. I would also like to point out here that the unit isn't mine, it's a friends (just in case someone reads this and gets confused).

On an entirely different subject, I love the basic concept of your website, Don. Very interesting and quite original. Good job.