Sign in to follow this  
boyfarrell

What we loss and what we gain: PowerPC and Intel

In the special edition MacCasts about the Intel switch Adam and Adrian Bacon concluded that processor design is heading towards a chip rich in features rather than one that has just a fast clock. (PowerPC and AMD knew this for a long time - Intel are just getting on board)

Does intel have an AltiVec / Velocity Engine like module?

How does it compare with PowerPC's?

What new technologies will the Intel chips bring?

In the special edition MacCasts about the Intel switch Adam and Adrian Bacon concluded that processor design is heading towards a chip rich in features rather than one that has just a fast clock. (PowerPC and AMD knew this for a long time - Intel are just getting on board)

Does intel have an AltiVec / Velocity Engine like module?  

How does it compare with PowerPC's?

What new technologies will the Intel chips bring?

Some early reports say that the intels pale in compersion to the PowerPCs.

The problem with this kind of question is that many Mac users will stand by the Power PC chip regardless, most of the PC world is split between Intel and AMD and no one can directly compare them in a fair fight. I am very impressed with the PowerPC chips overall in terms of performance, but I am not about to say they are any better or worse than Intel/AMD because I have never ran an Intel/AMD chip with a Mac OS.

Additionally all 3 companies have very different technologies, even very different technologies for every chip they design as each has its own purpose, its own uses and drawbacks. Much of the technology is the same in theory, but in application it's entirely different. Comparing chips from different companies is also made more difficult because of compatibility; each would need at least a different motherboard and that flaws the testing in itself.

I would have to admit that of the 2 leading chip manufacturers in the PC world, I was always an AMD man, but would never put Intel down (except in jest). Both make extraordinary chips. The best I can offer is a trip over to the Neowin forums where you will find an abundance of information. Unfortunaly, as I say, whatever you are told, whatever you read, it's not a fair test, it's not truth or fact but simply opinion. It all depends what Apple and Intel deside to use in each individual Mac model and even then it's not fair to compare. We will have to wait and see is all I can offer in way of opinion, but my guess is that you will be able to tell the difference.

Comparing chips from different companies is also made more difficult because of compatibility; each would need at least a different motherboard and that flaws the testing in itself.

i'm glad someone finally made that point