karinlord

Wireless dropout

karinlord    0

For the past few weeks (since the last 10.4.8 update) I have been experiencing signal drops. My previously working automatic wireless reconnect from sleep mode seems to be gone. Further, the wireless signal will occasionaly drop while my system is active. I have fiddled with various settings and reboots, but came to the conclusion my Airport Express was having some terminal issue. Then I discovered the same problem with my parent's wireless router (DLink).

A search of the Apple Fourms shows this seems to be a growing issue (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=709005&tstart=0). It appears the 10.4.8 update does something to the stability of the connection which can only be addressed via a backup/clean reinstall/and updating to only 10.4.7 and turning off automatic update so that problem is not reintroduced. Further, based on Apple forum postings it appears if any computer accessing the wireless Airport Express has the 10.4.8 update it appears to affect the Express so that computers not upgraded also begin to experience wireless dropout.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Karin

MacBook Pro, 1.83Ghz, 2GB RAM, 10.4.8

houltmac    254

I have experienced no such issues on any of the hundreds of Macs that have come into our Service Department since the 10.4.8 update and we use a mix of Belkin, D-Link, Netgear and Airport Extreme/Express.

I know that doesn't help, but we have had every Mac made since around 1994 in at one point or another without issue so I fail to see real evidential correlation as those posts suggest.

I'd take it to an Apple Store or AASP for diagnosis.

joshr    0

I have been having similar problems with my macbook pro ever since 10.4.8. Often when I turn the computer on I have no internet connection even though it is set to autoconnect. if I look at the available wireless my connection is there. Then I choose my connection and it will always say it is unable to connect. When I click ok for the dialog box it will connect to the wireless when the dialog closes. Then when I try to go online I get nothing and as soon as it tries to access the internet it will drop the signal. From that point I will have to choose my connection then try to use the internet and have it drop about 4 times until it will magically connect and be fine.

houltmac    254

@joshr: This may not be a software problem and may only appear to have been a cause of the 10.4.8 update based on coincidental timing. I would suggest getting it checked out as it may well be a failure with the airport card or antenna. I don't recall which MBP you have or which month you bought it in but it won't be cheap out of warranty even if it's not actually hardware.

If you have the 17" however I would suggest getting it looked at as soon as possible; that would be the better part of the cost of the machine to fix out of warranty.

joshr    0
@joshr: This may not be a software problem and may only appear to have been a cause of the 10.4.8 update based on coincidental timing. I would suggest getting it checked out as it may well be a failure with the airport card or antenna. I don't recall which MBP you have or which month you bought it in but it won't be cheap out of warranty even if it's not actually hardware.

If you have the 17" however I would suggest getting it looked at as soon as possible; that would be the better part of the cost of the machine to fix out of warranty.

I bought mine in may or june. It's a 2ghz 15". However I do have applecare so I will wait till school is out for semester since I take am taking two online classes. As far as work I could be without my home computer for a couple of days or a week but can't do it while classes are going on. Interesting that you think it's hardware issue though. I didn't even consider that.

Edited by joshr

karinlord    0

Yes Joshr, what you describe is exactly what has been occuring to me for the past couple of weeks (barring today).

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. As of today the situation has changed. Now my wireless appears to be connecting automatically (and not dropping), but my father called this morning to say his 20" imac (purchased in October 2006 and running on a DLink with a different ISP than me) is dropping the wireless signal. This was not previously a problem until I had been over on Friday with my signal dropping MacBookPro. I have had him run the cable line directly to the computer for now as I cannot get over to troubleshoot.

One thought, the only thing I have changed on my system between last night and today was dropping a freeware spam filtering system and starting a testrun of SpamSieve. Coincidentally, when I was last at my parents I put the freeware filtering system on their imac. Any chance the freeware antispam software might interfere with autoconnect?

It is all very strange. I checked with a Mac friend, she, like you Matt is not having this issue - I am though a little trepadatious of visting and using by laptop on her wireless lest this problem "transfer" itself again.

If I start to drop the signal again I will call AppleCare.

-----

Added later: Spoke to soon. Wireless drops have begun again on the laptop. :(

Edited by karinlord

joshr    0
Yes Joshr, what you describe is exactly what has been occuring to me for the past couple of weeks (barring today).

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. As of today the situation has changed. Now my wireless appears to be connecting automatically (and not dropping), but my father called this morning to say his 20" imac (purchased in October 2006 and running on a DLink with a different ISP than me) is dropping the wireless signal. This was not previously a problem until I had been over on Friday with my signal dropping MacBookPro. I have had him run the cable line directly to the computer for now as I cannot get over to troubleshoot.

One thought, the only thing I have changed on my system between last night and today was dropping a freeware spam filtering system and starting a testrun of SpamSieve. Coincidentally, when I was last at my parents I put the freeware filtering system on their imac. Any chance the freeware antispam software might interfere with autoconnect?

It is all very strange. I checked with a Mac friend, she, like you Matt is not having this issue - I am though a little trepadatious of visting and using by laptop on her wireless lest this problem "transfer" itself again.

-----

I have not installed anything in quite some time and I definitely never had any freeware spam software. I find that my computer will sometimes go for a while and connect no problem then sometimes for three days or so it will do it every time, then it will be back to normal for a while and so on. I am pretty sure it has something to do with 10.4.8 but it's not really that big of a deal so i figured by the time I would really care to do something about it there will be an update that fixes it.

iprinss    0

Karin,

Wish I would have seen this sooner. I am having a similar problem that your father is seeing. I have three network devices on my network. An iMac 20" Core Duo, Acer PC, and SMC wireless bridge for a printer. My access point is a dlink DI-524. I am using WPA encryption. When using the dlink at firmware 1.21, the SMC would not connect to the network with WPA. I upgraded the Dlink to the latest code of 1.23. When I did this, the SMC would work, but all of my machines would loose their IP address about 6 times a day. I would have to unplug the dlink and plug back in.

I contacted Dlink support and over a month the second level support told me to just use 1.21.

So I am on 1.21 until I determine which company I want to purchase a new access point from.

If your father looses wireless connection, check is firmware. Might want to down grade the unit if it is on 1.23

Ian

-----

karinlord    0

Thanks for the info.

Right now things seem stable with my father's computer so perhaps it was just weird chance he had a series of signal drops at the same time as I did.

I am beginning to wonder now if my Airport Express has simply begun the dying process. My MacBookPro has no trouble automatically picking up and holding wireless signals from other Airport routers or non-Apple wireless sources, just this one.

I did return the router to factory settings. That helped somewhat. It is so erratic though, some days the Express sends out a signal the Pro picks up right away and holds to all day, and other days the Express signal drops constantly. I am just hoping it holds out long enough that Apple has time to announce some upgraded Express' in the new year.

Karin

joshr    0

I really think it's a 10.4.8 problem. Matt aside it's all over various message boards on the net. People are having this problem.

karinlord    0

Well it could be either (or neither). Wireless dropped out today in the middle of large download and I had to restart at the beginning :(. Otherwise is it mostly a nuisance. I am just hoping it holds together enough that either A) a firmware fix comes out, or B ) if it is dying it holds on until the new Expresses are released. I have tried a variety of things to fix it without success. If you hear of something that works let me know.

Thanks

Edited by karinlord

oxygenetica    0

I've also been experiencing problems since the firmware upgrade to 10.4.8 with my MACBOOK PRO. At first I wasn't exactly sure what the problem was, thought it was my Wireless Access Point (BELKIN). I actually fooled around with it several times, which included restarting, resetting, renaming the SSID...

A fresh reset seems to make the reception better, the signal is constantly strong and doesn't seem to drop out. After renaming it still seems to work fine. However, whenever I add the security, the signal strength, data speed, and stability immediately fluctuates and ends up the same as when I started. I tried all types - WPA, WEP 64HEX, WEP 128HEX, all seems to distort the signal

So, after all that fumbling, I began to see a pattern - adding the security messes up the signal. Therefore I'm currently running it without the encryption (I know, not exactly the safest route), but at least I do have MAC ID Filtering on, and set it to only my Airport ID. It's running fine now, no frustrations as before but I still feel a little insecure without any encryption.

Was hoping if anybody has a suggestion to further secure my network, and wishing that Apple comes up with a fix...FAST.

Hope this helps as well...

joshr    0
I've also been experiencing problems since the firmware upgrade to 10.4.8 with my MACBOOK PRO. At first I wasn't exactly sure what the problem was, thought it was my Wireless Access Point (BELKIN). I actually fooled around with it several times, which included restarting, resetting, renaming the SSID...

A fresh reset seems to make the reception better, the signal is constantly strong and doesn't seem to drop out. After renaming it still seems to work fine. However, whenever I add the security, the signal strength, data speed, and stability immediately fluctuates and ends up the same as when I started. I tried all types - WPA, WEP 64HEX, WEP 128HEX, all seems to distort the signal

So, after all that fumbling, I began to see a pattern - adding the security messes up the signal. Therefore I'm currently running it without the encryption (I know, not exactly the safest route), but at least I do have MAC ID Filtering on, and set it to only my Airport ID. It's running fine now, no frustrations as before but I still feel a little insecure without any encryption.

Was hoping if anybody has a suggestion to further secure my network, and wishing that Apple comes up with a fix...FAST.

Hope this helps as well...

I am not sure exactly why you are emphasizing the fact that it's a macbook pro but that is also what I have. I do also have WPA security enabled. So it makes sense that it has to do with the security. I have a new router that should be waiting at home so I will see if that makes a difference although I didn't really buy it to fix this problem.

Edited by joshr

karinlord    0

Humm. I have had the oddest issues with various routers and setting security. I have 3 sites where I have set the router and security protocols. My homesite uses Airport Express and WEP (would love to use WPA but that just results in no wireless connection). At work I set up a Linksys. There WPA works and WEP brings the world crashing down. At my parents place using DLink I can get the WEP working on the laptop, but not the 20 inch iMac - and the reverse problem running WPA! Due to time constraints I left the whole thing unsecured for 3 weeks and then came back for a second try. After much reinstalling and fiddling about I got wireless working via WPA on both the laptop and the iMac. Fortunately my mother's new ibook which arrived 2 weeks ago seems to pickup their WPA signal without issue.

I can't say if these wireless security issues have anything to do with the 10.4.8 update as I set my parents and office system up at about the same time as 10.4.8 came out. To make my life easier I have ordered a refurb Express for my parents to rule out possible cross-product issues.

No tips here, but you are not alone in the wireless security weirdness world.

joshr    0

Security settings could explain why Matt hasn't seen the problem. He probably isn't testing with security enabled. What say you Matt?

zwarbot    1

My Wife's MacBook suffers from loosing the wireless connection when waking from sleep, & Its totally got something to do with the Macbook. As I can connect with my MBP to the Airport BS fine at the time.

So as an idea (might be a long shot?? ) I am going to disable the IPv6 settings & see what difference that makes. If others can try it will be interesting to see what happens.

Its in Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Configure > TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6 button at the bottom > OFF.

Hope this helps.

capz    0

Wow all of this sounds really familiar, im not exactly sure which update did it, but all of our macs ( core duo imac, core2duo imac, core2duo macbook ) are having trouble staying connected to our airport express, and it's really starting to bug me. I mean i got the express so i could get rid of the wires, but without them, im just running the risk of disconnecting randomly, im even disconnected as i type this. I used to use WEP for secutiry, to be compatible with my brother's Nintendo DS, but i changed it to WPA2 a few days ago, and that didn't make a difference. In fact, i think it got worse! The quickest way to get back online when disconnected, for me, is to unplug the power from the airport express and plug it back in. But come on, is this the "just works" apple gear? :blink:.

Are there any fixes out there to anybodys knowledge? I can't downgrade the core2duos to 10.4.7...... i think :mellow:

karinlord    0
Wow all of this sounds really familiar, im not exactly sure which update did it, but all of our macs ( core duo imac, core2duo imac, core2duo macbook ) are having trouble staying connected to our airport express, and it's really starting to bug me. I mean i got the express so i could get rid of the wires, but without them, im just running the risk of disconnecting randomly, im even disconnected as i type this. I used to use WEP for secutiry, to be compatible with my brother's Nintendo DS, but i changed it to WPA2 a few days ago, and that didn't make a difference. In fact, i think it got worse! The quickest way to get back online when disconnected, for me, is to unplug the power from the airport express and plug it back in. But come on, is this the "just works" apple gear? :blink:.

Are there any fixes out there to anybodys knowledge? I can't downgrade the core2duos to 10.4.7...... i think :mellow:

Well I have to say the problems at my parent's place disappeared with the replacement of the D-Link with an Airport Express. I can't recall if it is running WEP or WPA. The home and office problems went away with the upgrade Apple put out a while ago aimed at fixing wireless issues.

Things to check are interference from outside sources (i.e. talking on my cordless phone while trying to surf does not work). Are you using Interference Robustness? Have you scanned for wireless signals from outside your home which your Mac may be jumping to on its own accord? (In that case you will need to lock your computers to your own wireless signal). Also try using different channels.

I am sure some others will also come up with ideas.

joshr    0

New Belkin router solved all my problems.

James    28

I seem to have just started to have a similar problem as well.

I use a quicksilver G4 with airport card and airport express base station attached to a adsl modem/router. After a while the signal will disappear (normally happens after a few hours when the computer isn't doing much) and I can't see my base station. If I restart its fine again (but problem will reoccur eventually). My computer still has an ip number given by the router but even airport admin utility can't see the base station.

I'd rather not have to restart all the time. This usen't to be a problem.

Any ideas?