omgitsaliv55

Uh oh, Zune player to come tuesday!

I just read in a best buy mini catalog thinger that the zune player is coming out tuesday! Now tell me if i'm just out of it and everybody already knows that this is coming out tuesday, but this was a big shocker for me! It has a three inch bright screen and does have the ability to wirelessly share music, but theres a catch; it says

"Wirelessly share your pictures and select songs, Zune to Zune, up to 3 plays in 3 days"

and as a footnote says:

"The zune to zune sharing feature may not be available for all songs on your device, and works only between zune devices within wireless range of each other. This feature allows recipients to play full-length sample tracks up to 3 times in 3 days. Recipients cannot re-send music that they have received via the sharing feature."

This still seems vague to me. What are we allowed to send exactly? Music purchases that we buy from the zune marketplace? I don't know, this is confusing. Here's a link to a page where you can see pics:

Zune pic page

And here's a link to the best buy page:

Zune Player Page

I'm scared. This thing looks cool, something that microsoft WOULDN'T do. Could this really be a killer. I know one disadvantage is that it's ONLY available in a 30 gigabyte model, which might turn off a lot of people. I know that if I had only 30 gigabytes to put ALL of the stuff that my iPod has on it right now, I would be very disappointed (I have a ton of videos). But oh my god, they added in h.264 support. I'm just freaking out, and I know it. But this is scary. Anyway, I need to go settle down. Post whatever you feel like. Bye!

From what I've seen the reviews coming out on this are not as favorable as Microsoft would hope.

roog

Basically it sucks. It sounds cool from the specs but it's not. It does not support podcasts. It can transfer music wirelessly wether from the microsoft store or not but with the 3 day limit. Every piece of music you put on it has microsoft DRM added automatically. [What if you put something licensed under the creative commons on it? Doesn't that violate the creative commons copyright?]. I forget what else makes it suck but if you listen to the maccast or twit they have talked about it plenty.

- cannot be used as external hard drive for storage (WFT???)

- adds DRM to ANY song shared over wifi, even if you created it yourself

- can only connect zune-to-zune, not to wifi networks or wifi enabled computers (the slightly under the radar side effect of this is that until a whole lot of people in your area own zunes, the wifi is absolutely useless)

- has a radio but cannot record

- looks like it has a wheel but actually has four buttons hidden under a fake wheel (good luck scrolling through 5000 songs with that)

- no podcast support

- microsoft's last "iPod killer," playforsure protected songs, will not play on the zune. Instead, the zune online store uses a different, incompatible type of DRM. Oh, and playforsure is still going to be around on other competing services that already signed up for it

- zune online store has far, far fewer songs available than iTunes

- zune online store has no movies or tv shows

- just turning wifi on kills about an hour of battery life (hope you don't share music alot while on the road)

- can't sync with windows media centre. Must use brand new zune-specific software (can you think of any software that works really well in its 1.0 release?)

It will sell, but people are going to hate it. Moving songs is going to be clunky and difficult, people who already subscribe to Microsoft Play For Sure music services will have to either re-download all of their music or not be able to carry it around, the wifi slaps ridiculously restrictive DRM even on non-copyrighted music and for some mind-boggling reason cannot connect to wifi networks. The extre half inch screen and widescreen orientation is nice but hardly revolutionary. If that's all people wanted there are already many better media players that offer 3 inch or larger widescreens.

Oh, and the advertising sucks (at least so far). I've seen two zune commercials and if I didn't already know what a zune was / looked like, I'd still have no idea. I didn't see a single clear shot of the zune, just people looking at their crotches while going up a ski-lift.

gekko

- cannot be used as external hard drive for storage (WFT???)

- adds DRM to ANY song shared over wifi, even if you created it yourself

- can only connect zune-to-zune, not to wifi networks or wifi enabled computers (the slightly under the radar side effect of this is that until a whole lot of people in your area own zunes, the wifi is absolutely useless)

- has a radio but cannot record

- looks like it has a wheel but actually has four buttons hidden under a fake wheel (good luck scrolling through 5000 songs with that)

- no podcast support

- microsoft's last "iPod killer," playforsure protected songs, will not play on the zune. Instead, the zune online store uses a different, incompatible type of DRM. Oh, and playforsure is still going to be around on other competing services that already signed up for it

- zune online store has far, far fewer songs available than iTunes

- zune online store has no movies or tv shows

- just turning wifi on kills about an hour of battery life (hope you don't share music alot while on the road)

- can't sync with windows media centre. Must use brand new zune-specific software (can you think of any software that works really well in its 1.0 release?)

It will sell, but people are going to hate it. Moving songs is going to be clunky and difficult, people who already subscribe to Microsoft Play For Sure music services will have to either re-download all of their music or not be able to carry it around, the wifi slaps ridiculously restrictive DRM even on non-copyrighted music and for some mind-boggling reason cannot connect to wifi networks. The extre half inch screen and widescreen orientation is nice but hardly revolutionary. If that's all people wanted there are already many better media players that offer 3 inch or larger widescreens.

Oh, and the advertising sucks (at least so far). I've seen two zune commercials and if I didn't already know what a zune was / looked like, I'd still have no idea. I didn't see a single clear shot of the zune, just people looking at their crotches while going up a ski-lift.

gekko

I completely forgot about the plays for sure not working. Very funny. And the "click wheel" is a clear substandard ripoff of the ipod. My take on the zune is that like most other manufacturers that have no spine with regards to the studios it has nice specs but it's so locked down that it's useless.

I think the Zune will work out as an advantage for Apple. Why?

It forces Apple into competition with something. iPods have not REALLY had to compete with another MP3 player. Now the Zune will offer more features that iPods don't have. This will force Apple to make more innovative iPods in the future. You can bet the next iPods Apple turns out will be funcional with some kind of wireless feature, maybe Wi-Fi compatible. They will have to, otherwise this Zune will completely pwn Apple.

Competition is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I think the Zune will work out as an advantage for Apple. Why?

It forces Apple into competition with something. iPods have not REALLY had to compete with another MP3 player. Now the Zune will offer more features that iPods don't have. This will force Apple to make more innovative iPods in the future. You can bet the next iPods Apple turns out will be functional with some kind of wireless feature, maybe Wi-Fi compatible. They will have to, otherwise this Zune will completely own Apple.

Competition is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I hardly think this is competition if your interested in the zune then check out this weeks edition of TWIT. They talk about it for a while in there. The current ipod is hardly being "owned" by the zune. So while I do hope that they decide to add some features to the next ipod [out this winter ???] that the zune is doing horribly I doubt it will make much difference either way.

Wow. Thanks guys for telling me about all this stuff. It relieves a lot of my worries. I mean, from what you all have told me, zune doesn't stand a chance. Honestly, DRMing uncopyrighted content? rediculous. and the imitation clickwheel sounds like something they got off the back of a cereal box. Anyway, i'm gonna go look at them at bestbuy tommorrow. i'll see what this thing is actually capable of. bye

-patrick

i would rather buy Creative or iRiver instead of Zune if iPod was not an option.

Amusing review of Engadget's experience installing the Zune software:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/13/install...he-zune-sucked/

Man, Microsoft. Way to compete with a product that 'just works'.

That's awesome. exactly what I'd expect from an MS product. It's just so fucking hard to do something... Thist might be one huge failure.. At least until they get to version 2-3-4 with a lot less bugs.

I think its kinda funny, because in the US, Apple hold about what? 75% market share! Good luck cracking into that market M$, but in Europe, Apple have a much smaller share, and there are a lot of "small players" like the Sony, Creative, iRiver, Samsung, etc. There isn't the same level of brand loyalty among the smaller players and Microsoft had an opportunity to snatch up some of the market here, where they had a chance.

But alas, they have shown yet again that their technical incompetence is matched only by their commercial incompetence by delaying the EU launch of the Zune until possibly 2008! WTF

I mean they'd have a shot a the iRiver market, even the gigantic Zune is smaller then some of their players, and Sony's 'MP3' (but not really) players ... well enough said really.

The zune is definitely going to struggle in the market initially if not indefinitely. I understand that they needed to build zune to stay competetive, but it's gonna be ugly and I'm going to watch and laugh. sounds a bit cruel but oh well...

Zune = teh suxxors

o well knowing microsoft we little english people own tsee it until at least a year i am by no means a ipod fan but the one thing i love is the smooth intergration the ipod has betwwen hardware and software.

ever heard the saying if it aint broke dont try and fix it that what microsoft is doing this current strategy has proven to work i think apple will ahve to make some changes. microsoft will keep throwing money at this until it stick.

so apple will have to start innovating again to keep it customers around.

so apple will have to start innovating again to keep it customers around.

Hmmm, where prey tell have Microsoft innovated? Unless of course that was a typo and you meant immitated!

iPod -> Zune

iTunes -> Zune Software

iTunes Store -> Zune Marketplace

Archos PMA400 -> Zune Wifi Sharing

I mean come on!

Microsoft has come out with the Zune a year too late. People keep comparing the Zune to the iPod Video, but the iPod video has already been out for a year now. Apple definitely has not been sleeping for a year and have something secret up their sleeve that we haven't seen yet. The minor upgrades to 5.5 were just to keep customers satisfied until they come out with their iPod 6.0, whatever that may be. Once this comes out the Zune will become obsolete just like the iPod Vid 5.5 will. Unfortunately it looks as if we won't see this new version until at least MacWorld in January and maybe even further into the future. And if the Zune can't compete with the iPod Vid 5.5 then it won't stand a chance against 6.0. :lol:

I hardly think this is competition if your interested in the zune then check out this weeks edition of TWIT. They talk about it for a while in there. The current ipod is hardly being "owned" by the zune. So while I do hope that they decide to add some features to the next ipod [out this winter ???] that the zune is doing horribly I doubt it will make much difference either way.
I didn't mean to say the Zune is owning the iPod. I don't think that at all.

Whether the Zune pwns the iPod, or if it just sells a little, it's competition, and Apple will learn from them.

[rant]I hear now that MS is including zune STICKERS! Now, I normall don't so the whole "OMG OMG! Microsoft is COPYING APPLE!!!" bit, but sreiously, Apple has been including stickers with all their hardware for years. Microsoft just needs to find their own little thing to do, because stickers and hard drive music players are dominated by Apple.[/rant]

Okay, I'm done :P

I didn't mean to say the Zune is owning the iPod. I don't think that at all.

Whether the Zune pwns the iPod, or if it just sells a little, it's competition, and Apple will learn from them.

certainly. Any kind of competition is good even if it is hardly worth looking at.

I did see somewhere that the Zune does use the 802.11b/g standard to communicate zune to zune. this could mean that in future updates, it would allow for webbrowsing support or things of that nature. I also did see that it does have a "wheel". I know that somebody said it didn't, but I read in a review that it is actually quite easy browse through a large music library. Also, it looks like that if you rip your own CD you can get past the 3 times in 3 days limit for sharing music. Still, it's not the most innovative. Its just counteracting something that's innovative with something that's a replica with a few candy hearts on the side. Apple will blow zune to pieces with the next gen video ipod. Besides, microsoft only plans on updating the zune line once a year! That's nothing compared to what apple does. I also did hear that the zune software absolutely sucks! No surprise. Anyway, i still want to see what it looks like in real life. if you ask me, it looks sorta ugly from the pictures. Later.

so i didnt bother to read all those posts, i'm assuming this hasnt been mentioned yet. i just read on appleinsider that apparently, in rushing the release of the zune for the holidays.. somehow microsoft didnt manage to get it working with vista yet.. which should be shipping soon. either this is a really funny screwup, or somehow they just disabled it from installing on prereleases of vista.. i dont know.. either way, its funny.

I did see somewhere that the Zune does use the 802.11b/g standard to communicate zune to zune. this could mean that in future updates, it would allow for webbrowsing support or things of that nature.

All I can say is good luck with that extra functionality without a major overhaul of the hardware - no touchscreen, very few controls. It would be like writing a novel on a cell phone; though it might be doable, who on earth would want to?

I also did see that it does have a "wheel". I know that somebody said it didn't, but I read in a review that it is actually quite easy browse through a large music library.
Nope. It has what looks like a wheel, but is in fact a wheel shape which hides four buttons - up, down, left and right. Apparently microsoft has done a good job on jumping from one level to another within menus, but anyone who has actually tried browsing through 1000+ songs on an mp3 player other than the iPod knows how painful up and down buttons are.

Also, it looks like that if you rip your own CD you can get past the 3 times in 3 days limit for sharing music.

I wish that this were true, I really do. But in fact, the truth is that it's much, much worse. Not only can you not get around the 3x3 limitation if you rip your own CD's, you cannot get around it even if you write and record your own music and attempt to use the zune to spread it to fans or friends. The zune adds its own copy protection to each and every song you send over the zune to zune wifi, even if the song in question was never copyrighted (your own creation) or even if it is protected by a creative comons liscence that explicitly prohibits adding DRM to the file.

The rest of your post I agreed with. As the owner of a 5.5, 80 GB iPod, I'm dreading the (I know it's)upcoming announcement of the next gen iPod. Microsoft should be wetting the bed right about now.

gekko