omgitsaliv55

Uh oh, Zune player to come tuesday!

All I can say is good luck with that extra functionality without a major overhaul of the hardware - no touchscreen, very few controls. It would be like writing a novel on a cell phone; though it might be doable, who on earth would want to?

Nope. It has what looks like a wheel, but is in fact a wheel shape which hides four buttons - up, down, left and right. Apparently microsoft has done a good job on jumping from one level to another within menus, but anyone who has actually tried browsing through 1000+ songs on an mp3 player other than the iPod knows how painful up and down buttons are.

I wish that this were true, I really do. But in fact, the truth is that it's much, much worse. Not only can you not get around the 3x3 limitation if you rip your own CD's, you cannot get around it even if you write and record your own music and attempt to use the zune to spread it to fans or friends. The zune adds its own copy protection to each and every song you send over the zune to zune wifi, even if the song in question was never copyrighted (your own creation) or even if it is protected by a creative comons liscence that explicitly prohibits adding DRM to the file.

The rest of your post I agreed with. As the owner of a 5.5, 80 GB iPod, I'm dreading the (I know it's)upcoming announcement of the next gen iPod. Microsoft should be wetting the bed right about now.

gekko

As soon as I read the post you are replying to my typing fingers were getting antsy. Good thing I read the rest of the replies. I just wanted to add collaboration that the zune does indeed not have a wheel just a knockoff and that it adds it's own DRM to everysong no matter what it is as soon as you put it on the unit. Not to mention microsofts own "playsforsure" doesn't play. What a joke.

[rant]I hear now that MS is including zune STICKERS! Now, I normall don't so the whole "OMG OMG! Microsoft is COPYING APPLE!!!" bit, but sreiously, Apple has been including stickers with all their hardware for years. Microsoft just needs to find their own little thing to do, because stickers and hard drive music players are dominated by Apple.[/rant]

Okay, I'm done :P

you mean like dominating the world PC operating system market by a huge margin?

I don't think the Zune is a bad player, it's got it's problems (as does the iPod) but all in all it's pretty good hardware/software combo.

You can tell his problems in the review were because of a faulty PC setup, there is no way uninstalling the Zune should have killed his computer.

I had alot of problems getting my iPod running on my PC, I found out it was a problem with my USB controller, Apple can't even build a product that works with all USB controllers....

In the long run, my iPod is better than the Zune right now. But competition is always good for the consumer, I think the Zune is the only reason we saw price drops on iPods a while ago, to match Microsoft's price.

Everything that I have heard on the podcasts about the Zune is that it really bites. The software is crashing in a lot of instances when being installed. Engadget had the software install crash and take a Raid-5 array down with it in the process.

There is also no support for Windows Vista, which will be out in January for consumers. Funny stuff! :)

Get all 0f your Zune Hating, ipod Loving Gear Here!

www.cafepress.com/antizune

Y'all forgot one thing:

It doesn't work with MacOS

Meaning that the group of computer geeks controlling the world of portable digital media can't use it.

now that i think about it (after trying it out at Staples), navigating around the zune with the 5 way thingy is similar to front row on a mac. so i guess it's not that bad navigating around it...