Sign in to follow this  
jtbandes

Startup Disk Full? No...

Just today, Macromedia Fireworks said it couldn't perform the operation because it was "low on memory" when I tried to save something (although it apparently did save; it didn't sound like it did), and then later, I got Mac OS X's "Startup disk almost full" message. All of this is false! Here's some info straight from Activity Monitor:

picture1yv1.png

picture2sf7.png

What's the problem? PLEASE help me! :(

Just today, Macromedia Fireworks said it couldn't perform the operation because it was "low on memory" when I tried to save something (although it apparently did save; it didn't sound like it did), and then later, I got Mac OS X's "Startup disk almost full" message. All of this is false! Here's some info straight from Activity Monitor:

What's the problem? PLEASE help me! :(

Maybe start by going into disk utility and erasing free space and repairing permissions. See if that doesn't help things.

Edited by joshr

Maybe start by going into disk utility and erasing free space and repairing permissions. See if that doesn't help things.

I already did that, and it didn't change anything.

Have you tried resetting your PRAM and using something like DiskWarrior to rebuild your directories?

Have you tried resetting your PRAM and using something like DiskWarrior to rebuild your directories?

That didn't work... But I notice that Fireworks only gives me that message on the one document, and I haven't seen OS X's message since the first one. I'm still skeptical, though...

I used macromedia's dreamweaver and firefox for a little bit on my MacBook 2.0GHz. It installed fine but ran ridiculously slow. The issue seems to be the power-pc to Intel conversion Mac OS X does via Rosetta. I can't say for sure this is causing your issue, but be aware that fireworks is a memory intensive app anyway. Additionally, memory must be used to operate Rosetta to convert the power-pc app to be usable on the Intel machine.

I gave up until Adobe releases their universal versions of the studio. For now, I use Gimp and I'm really pleased. It's not as easy to use, but it's not nearly as slow.

Again, I'm not sure if this is it (probably not given your diagnostics), but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth of experience.

Bryce

I used macromedia's dreamweaver and firefox for a little bit on my MacBook 2.0GHz. It installed fine but ran ridiculously slow. The issue seems to be the power-pc to Intel conversion Mac OS X does via Rosetta. I can't say for sure this is causing your issue, but be aware that fireworks is a memory intensive app anyway. Additionally, memory must be used to operate Rosetta to convert the power-pc app to be usable on the Intel machine.

I gave up until Adobe releases their universal versions of the studio. For now, I use Gimp and I'm really pleased. It's not as easy to use, but it's not nearly as slow.

Again, I'm not sure if this is it (probably not given your diagnostics), but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth of experience.

Bryce

This is my eMac PPC G4, not iMac Core Duo.