lunchbox

Video Stills

Hey Kids. I am looking for a way to extract a single frame from a DVD my Uncle made in imovie. He converted an old football highlight film from VHS to DVD for my older brothers. I have never really got into the joy of video editing, so I don't really know what to expect. I know that the quality won't be great, but that doesn't much matter as it will be manipulated(heavily) in Photoshop. I am looking for free to very inexpensive tips. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Mikey

You should be able to just open the movie in Quicktime or whatever movie player you want, and go to the frame you want, hit Command+Shift+4 and then select the area you want to capture (or Command+Shift+3 if your watching in full screen).

It should save to the desktop (unless you changed where screenshots are saved) as a png file.

only problem with that is you can't capture in DVD playback, and when I use VLC to playback the video TS files, they looked a lot more distorted (i.e. more predominent interlace lines).

i did try that. worked a little but still noticable. i will check out SnapzPro. Thanks for the help so far.

If it's a DVD made by your Uncle, it won't be CSS-protected. You can probably just view it in Quicktime and capture it by using Quicktime's "Open File", navigate to the DVD in the Open File dialog, go into the VIDEO_TS folder, and select one of the .VOB files.

Or just download and use Handbrake to convert it to a .mp4 file you can play in just about anything.

Edited by car1son