Sign in to follow this  
starfire

Swapping Hard Drives Around.

We have a 400MHz Power PC G4 at my work with a 10 GB Hard drive and a 80 Gb Hard Drive. I believe the 80GB Hard Drive was installed later in this computers life. Currently all of the applications reside on the smaller drive and I would like to make the 80GB Drive the main drive. Is their an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any help you Mac Geeks can provide.

We have a 400MHz Power PC G4 at my work with a 10 GB Hard drive and a 80 Gb Hard Drive. I believe the 80GB Hard Drive was installed later in this computers life. Currently all of the applications reside on the smaller drive and I would like to make the 80GB Drive the main drive. Is their an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any help you Mac Geeks can provide.

Either use a backup program such as Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate the 10GB onto the 80GB then physically swap the drives. Or physically swap the drives first install OSX on the 80GB drive and then use the migration assistant to get the software settings and data off of the old drive. Is there data on the 80GB that you need to keep?

The real question is the last sentence in Josh' statement. This is simple and very do-able, but how depends largely on whether you have both drives in use with data on them you want to keep at the moment.