Sign in to follow this  
madmac

DVDs Won't Read - Keep Ejecting

OK, so a couple months ago I bought a PowerMac G4 QuickSilver to add to my collection, and it has worked great. Now I'm starting to have a problem with the optical drive, and specifically with playing DVDs. It may have been like this when I got it, but luckily I don't play DVDs in it that often anyway. I posted on the Apple discussion boards about a week ago, this is what I said:

"I'm having trouble with my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver, specifically its DVD drive. Whenever I try to play a DVD movie it just ejects the disc. After persistently reinserting it a few times it will finally mount, but then DVD Player freezes. The Mac OS X DVD works fine as do others, it seems to be exclusively movies that throw it off. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?"

I got one person who suggested cleaning the lens, but that's it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this or about what else might be causing this, please let me know. Thanks.

Odds are that it is one of the following:

1. Lens does indeed need cleaning; you can buy kits for this from any local computer/electronic store.

2. The drive is a CD-ROM/CD-RW drive and doesn't support DVDs. Check System Profiler to verify this is a DVD enabled drive.

3. The drive is simply not working properly. There is really nothing you can do about this but replace the drive. Rob one from another Mac, buy one from Apple or some kind of Apple reseller (you can't use just any drive) to solve this one; it's very simple to replace.

I had a failing DVD drive a few months ago. Repeatedly inserting a disk, meant it eventually mounted, but I found that DVD Player or even Finder wouldn't work properly with the disk. I reached the conclusion that it was a hardware problem with the drive and replaced it, since then I've had no problems.

Are the DVD's commercial copies or are they ripped versions. Commercial DVD's are higher capacity than retail blank DVD's so probably have a lower tolerance for error when being read. Dirt on the lens or misalignment will add to the problem.

If the DVD's are ripped versions I'd look at bad media as being the source of the problem.

Lens cleaning is definitely an option, if that doesn't work your probably looking at buying a new drive.

Well I tried compressed air, you wouldn't believe all the stuff that came out (I think the previous owner stuffed a cat in there :P), but the DVDs still wouldn't read. Then I got a $5 lens cleaner kit from Target, worked like a charm. Now I'm ripping DVDs like a mad man. Thanks for all your help!