iJustin

Black or White?

so, i finally have the money i need to get a macbook, black or white tho? common i need some pursuationos! thanks!

I say get white and spend the extra money on a 3rd party hard drive or RAM.

let's put it this way:

Black=sexy enough to kill

White=traditional and proudly MAC

Black: cant see scratches as much but can see every little finger print and smudge

White: gets dirty and history of stains and can see scratches.

black is reported to flack

But both have problems

Black is at least $150 more.

Buy some upgrades don't waste the money on a diffrent color paint!

black is reported to flack

But both have problems

Simply inaccurate.

I have to contest the general impression the above posts are exhaling. Neither the Black nor White MacBooks have a bad finish in either the long nor the short term.

The white doesn't show body oils as easily granted, but the black doesn't flack (viz. flake) either. Both are sturdy finishes and any issues with the white "yellowing" were sorted months ago. I really wouldn't take these "reasons" into consideration.

The real question is how much can the difference buy you and do you require the other upgrades the black model offers. In short I think that the upgrades themselves are rediculous for the money. If you really need to squeeze every last drop out of the CPU (doubtful), could do with the SuperDrive and like the black then go for the Black model (assuming under those conditions you are happy to pay the extra and can afford any other upgrades you may want).

In all other cases I have to suggest the 1.83GHz model. Here you have a fine machine to say the least. It's "very Mac", very fast, upgradable (RAM, HDD etc.) and otherwise fully featured. For the cost of the "BlackBook" I have a system that far better suits my needs, I didn't waste money on a 20GB upgrade, SuperDrive or anything else I wouldn't use on a 2.0GHz model.

The choice is yours, but I strongly suggest not to take the finish into account.

To quantify: This is based on the idea that you will clean them, everything gets dirty, especially when you use it so much and it moves from place to place. It's also based on the idea that you won't mis-treat it. My basis is pretty sound seeing as my company must look after hundreds of MacBooks; I have one myself (as do most of the guys here) and we look after business and education customers around the country as well as having a showroom demo model which is pretty well abused.

I, personally, have seen 2 Black Macbooks. One of them my friend's had for about 6 months, and it looks pretty horrible. Then again, he treats it REALLY poorly, if that's anything to you. Besides the fingerprints on the screen, the matte appears to get dirty.

Then again, another person I saw got a black Macbook about 24 hours ago. Already, the black is showing signs of wear and tear, but nothing extreme. My white one looks really nice, except from the bruise when I dropped it from about 14 inches up. It's even starting to look a little dingy, and the screens get kinda dirty...

(if anyone has a tip for cleaning them, PLEASE tell me!)

All in all, great computer, get whichever one you think is better for you.

Take care of your white one and you won't have ANY problems. Mine's still in perfect condition.

My roomate has a black one and he wishes he had gotten white. The black ones just get hella nasty.

White ones just scream Macintosh. I'm so glad I got white.

If you want a black notebook you might as well get a dell.

White and Silver notebooks are noticed a mile off as Apple. It's not even an option.

As far as cleaning your screen goes, you can use this product, works perfctly for me.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...0.8.25.7.11.0.3

Totally agree.

I would get a black iPod but my laptop has to be white. I had a white iBook that I contributed to a buddy's college fund and will do white on my next iBook.

White and Silver notebooks are noticed a mile off as Apple. It's not even an option.

As far as cleaning your screen goes, you can use this product, works perfctly for me.

You can't link to applestore pages because of a time out. However Radtech makes some cleaning stuff as well.

I'm sorry, but this reasoning just seems silly to me. If white laptops are that important to you, then by all means get one. But to suggest that people who want a black laptop should just get a Dell? Get serious! I hope you are kidding...

Many of us actually buy our computers for reasons other than the external color of the machine. Of course we have preferences, but when it comes down to it I'm buying a Mac because it's a great computer. That includes its hardware design as well as its operating system and software design.

Oh, and by the way there are lots of silver laptops out there that are not Apple. I've frequently seen what appeared to be Mac laptops at a distance only to find out they were PC's when I got up close. Never did it make me feel like my silver PowerBook G4 was any less Mac-like.

- Tim

Ahh the age old argument (actually its about 6 months old...) I put it in the words of that great bastion of knowledge, The Joy of Tech.

"It's black, it has Intel Inside and it runs Windows... Congratulations Apple, you're selling a Dell!"