ketsugi

Should I wait to buy an iMac?

I've been dying to get a Mac for myself for a long time now, and now that I have a work laptop I figure I'll get a desktop, so the iMac it is. However I'm wondering about the timing. :(

I know that Adam is always saying to buy the Mac that's right for you at that time, and that any new software/hardware upgrades released after you buy your Mac isn't going to make your Mac any less useful, but surely noone can deny the pain and disappointment of seeing a hardware revision soon after you buy your Mac, or a new OS X release after you buy your Mac, right outside the free upgrade window.

With Christmas around the corner, Macworld in January, and Leopard supposedly being released in March, should I buy a new iMac now? Should I wait to see if there are any holiday promotions? Wait for the Stevenote in January? Or buckle myself in and wait for Leopard to be released, which could be a good 4 months away?

I'm almost leaning towards getting it in December and springing the extra cash for Leopard when it hits 10.5.1 or 10.5.2, but what do the rest of you guys think? I'm just worried that Steve may pull an Intel on us again and release Leopard early, which means I get to relive my experience when I bought a G4 Mac Mini for my sister about a month before Tiger was released (and the upgrade window was set to 15 days back). ;)

There is little anyone can say that Adam hasn't said and you haven't heard. The decision is yours.

I seriously doubt Leopard will be available before the very end of Q1 judging by where it was a few weeks ago. iMacs (like all Macs right now) are not far off a speed bump, but then they never are. You have to buy sometime or else you never will. If iLife '07 is that important then wait, but it's only going to be a few dollars anyway. I don't see a reason to wait, but then I'm not you.

I doubt you will get any more advice than that. Good luck, and I hope you make the right decision for you.

iMacs (like all Macs right now) are not far off a speed bump, but then they never are.

Didn't they just recently get a bump when Apple added the 24" display option and Core 2 Duo?

I'm thinking of getting a new iMac (my first MacIntel) when Leopard comes out. But "Spring" doesn't end until June, so I'm thinking that'll be 2Q07.

They did indeed change some specs during the release of the 24". This is in no way an indication of when the next change will come, Apple have a history of multiple iMac revisions during the next three months.

My point really though is that the rumors go for as long as it takes, it happens eventually, two weeks pass and the cycle starts again. Ignore it completely unless there is truly strong evidence it will happen soon and make sure you buy from the Apple Store if in doubt as Apple offer a no quibble 14 day money back guarantee so you can basically upgrade within 14 days.

make sure you buy from the Apple Store if in doubt as Apple offer a no quibble 14 day money back guarantee so you can basically upgrade within 14 days.

You know, I'd give exactly the opposite advice. I guess we each have preferences according to our own experiences.

When I got my 3G iPod, it would freeze every time it went to sleep (the 30-minute sleep.) (There were others who complained that theirs did the same, but most worked fine - possibly just a bad batch from the factory.) Apple's reaction was typical Apple: a KBase article that said if it freezes, just press the magic reset buttons. This was defined as being "normal," not a defect; but it's really annoying to lose your place in an audio book because you had to Pause it for more than 30 min. Fortunately, I'd bought my iPod from Amazon, and all I had to do was say it wasn't working and they replaced it with one that didn't act like that, zero cost to me.

In my opinion, Apple is in the habit of defining annoying defects as "normal" and refusing to exchange a defective unit for a good one unless it's on fire: Dead pixels on the Titanium, loud fans, Airport cards that can't handle >500MB of memory, discolorations, MacBooks that spontaneously reset. Sometimes they get around to fixing them later with firmware workarounds, sometimes they don't. I prefer to buy from a retailer who won't argue with my judgement about how many dead pixels on my LCD is "excessive".

I've used a Mac since 1985, but I have nothing but contempt for Apple's retail policies.

I do agree that if you need a computer (any brand), trying to time the purchase to the next upgrade cycle is usually futile.

Edited by car1son

I recommend getting the imac now if you need it now. I personally plan on getting a leopard disc, so it doesnt really matter if i have it preinstalled or not. If you have other computers that you will want to upgrade to leopard, simply get your computer whenver you want and buy the disc.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I'll probably be getting the iMac next week and just spring for the Leopard disc in March or April or whenever it comes out.

If I lived in the US I'd have tried for the Black Friday discounts, but no luck for me it seems. At least I have two sisters in school so I can get it under the educational discount.

Sounds great, good luck on that!

If you are a heavy user on your keyboard, i usually recommend a silicon protector on your Keyboard. It's a great investment! You can get em at pbcovers.com or iskin.com .

Right... so pbcovers.com is a totally NSFW site that features Playboy cover girls. Think you might want to doublecheck the URL for what you meant ... ;)

Get it now. I bought a 24" iMac and it's the best thing I've ver done. If you wait now you'll be waiting forever as the next upgrade is always around trhe corner.

Right... so pbcovers.com is a totally NSFW site that features Playboy cover girls. Think you might want to doublecheck the URL for what you meant ... ;)

Yeup. It is.

Lol. *hmm? Course i didn't just type it into safari to check*