boyblitz

Fed up with this 24" imac.

I am just about getting fed up with this damn computer. After waiting months for my 20" imac because they released this 24" imac i greedily swapped to get one of the first 24" imac systems. All im getting now is annoying little things. Loud hard drive, some really annoying dead pixels which just seem clustered, performance which my g4 powerbook could match, bootcamp gives black screen when i try to install windows to play games, screen buzzes when i turn down brightness. But the most annoying thing of all. After 3 odd months of usage i have discovered my apple accesories are turning pink, brown and yellow. Thing is i dont smoke and i wash my hands before using my computer. Its a bit extreme but after have my powerbook bubble up from the acid on my hands i was not going to risk it twice.

http://www.zen18931.zen.co.uk/formacman/Site/Photos.html

Any ideas on these annoying stains that dont wash off guys and girls?

Also do you think i will ever get bootcamp working?

I try to avoid contact with apples tech support as they are mainly asain and dont understand my langauge. My nearest store is also 150 miles away. I miss the days of irish tech support on the phone and a mail in service.

Brad

*edit* I forgot apple store looks almost finished in southampton. Perhaps i will take it to genius bar there when the door open.

Edited by boyblitz

I am just about getting fed up with this damn computer. After waiting months for my 20" imac because they released this 24" imac i greedily swapped to get one of the first 24" imac systems. All im getting now is annoying little things. Loud hard drive, some really annoying dead pixels which just seem clustered, performance which my g4 powerbook could match, bootcamp gives black screen when i try to install windows to play games, screen buzzes when i turn down brightness. But the most annoying thing of all. After 3 odd months of usage i have discovered my apple accesories are turning pink, brown and yellow. Thing is i dont smoke and i wash my hands before using my computer. Its a bit extreme but after have my powerbook bubble up from the acid on my hands i was not going to risk it twice.

http://www.zen18931.zen.co.uk/formacman/Site/Photos.html

Any ideas on these annoying stains that dont wash off guys and girls?

Also do you think i will ever get bootcamp working?

I try to avoid contact with apples tech support as they are mainly asain and dont understand my langauge. My nearest store is also 150 miles away. I miss the days of irish tech support on the phone and a mail in service.

Brad

*edit* I forgot apple store looks almost finished in southampton. Perhaps i will take it to genius bar there when the door open.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking for. Sounds like you are having some warranty issues which will need to be sorted by apple. Either call tech support or go to a store. Since a store is probably out of the question call tech support. If you are having trouble communicating with a rep just politely ask for someone else. As for the boot camp issues it sounds to me like lack of drivers. Do you have all of the right drivers for the hardware and are you sure you are meeting all of tech requirements for the games. Specifically DX stuff and a video card that will work with whatever game you are trying to play.

This is a global economy we now live in, get used to it.

If you are having issues then try finding an Apple Authorized Service Provider; they will perform repairs and so on under the warranty. They will provide you with advice and for a small fee get things like BootCamp working properly. I know this because I work for one.

38 AASPs in and around Southampton can be found here.

Interesting. Thanks. The bootcamp issue is a problem that 1/3rd of systems suffer from. But since its a beta there is not support.

Josh. What i find odd is your a mac geek god but yet you obviously havent heard that when trying to install windows using bootcamp on some imacs there are display issues that stop you installing xp unless you want to use an external monitor. I wish i could install the right drivers but i cant mate i just cant even get the windows install screen to display on my ultra cool 2 foot screen.

Edited by boyblitz

I have installed BootCamp on probably 2-3 hundred machines over the past months, on every Intel Mac ever sold thus far and I have not as yet had a single problem so I find that very interesting.

Interesting. Thanks. The bootcamp issue is a problem that 1/3rd of systems suffer from. But since its a beta there is not support.

Josh. What i find odd is your a mac geek god but yet you obviously haven't heard that when trying to install windows using bootcamp on some imacs there are display issues that stop you installing xp unless you want to use an external monitor. I wish i could install the right drivers but i cant mate i just cant even get the windows install screen to display on my ultra cool 2 foot screen.

I haven't seen your particular problem on the forum but then again I don't bother paying much attention to windows problems on a mac forum. I used to be into PC's. Then I got tired of fixing them all the time so I bought a mac with applecare. Really the only reason I responded to your posts was because it struck me as rather combative and ethnocentric. So I figured that perhaps if I pushed a little you would clarify your question and other people would answer whatever it was you were asking.

Edited by joshr

Now there is no need to be hating because im trying to run windows to play some old games. I call it best of both worlds. At the end of the day i cant make more developers make games on the mac. Sure i can keep buying games and hope for more games to be running transgamings cider but till then i will try and dual boot.

Now there is no need to be hating because im trying to run windows to play some old games. I call it best of both worlds. At the end of the day i cant make more developers make games on the mac. Sure i can keep buying games and hope for more games to be running transgamings cider but till then i will try and dual boot.

so once again, what is the question? What games are you having trouble with? What drivers are you having trouble with? If you get more specific with what you need then perhaps someone will have a solution.

I would definitely get that thing serviced. You should not be having those problems.

At school I used their 17" Core Duos and I havn't seen any of those problems.

Ugg, don't you hate dead pixels?

Ok Josh. I will break this down into sub sections. But in short there is no solution just a long aukward silence which is all i have got from apple support. Just a rant on defective goods. But its being repaired now i hope so dont worry josh. This apple is not getting thrown out the window. :D

Bootcamp

Ok Bootcamp. Right when i install bootcamp and follow the instructions of the app all goes well except when it asks me to reboot so it can then load up the windows install cd and install windows. For you see what happens is thusly. The computer chimes i hold alt so i can force select the windows install cd (to be safe) and the screen goes black with minor graphical glitches like horizontal scanlines and the computer starts working on somemthing. So to see what is happening i plug in an external monitor. When i do this i am greeted with the windows install screen. So i go through the process on the external monitor.

Ok windows is install and it is now working on an external monitor. So the next step is to install the drivers. Which i have had to do in the past for so many years before switching. I used to be a dev and make apps on windows (shhh) so i like to think i got this stage perfect.

Now the drivers are installed i restart with no external montior and the screen is still black and it stays black right from boot up all the way through to loading the os. So i plug in external monitor and play some more and still no luck.

Now some reason it seems 1/3rd of 24 inchers seem to have this problem. But apple will not do anything as bootcamp is beta so im stuck till the release of leopard for a fix and obviously i cant get a replacement for a newer revision which will work.

What is interesting is these odd scanlines i get the same problem within certain apps such as eyetv.

A little huntch tells me nvidia have made a bad batch of cards or there is a slight change in the config of cards and apple devs are working hard on the solution (I hope).

Screen Buzz

Ok this one i hope is a simple problem. When i turn down my brightness i get a loud audible buzz. So i keep my brightness up and wear sunglasses. To fix this i have given this to my local service place who is working on this fault ready for next week.

*Note i have turned down brightness on other 24's and i dont get any noise nore does the reseller that sold me the computer get that problem in there store.

Pink, Brown, Orange keyboard, mighty mouse and apple remote

For the past two months i have been in contact with apple on this matter. My keyboard compared to the G5's we have in the studio is of poor quality. The inks on the keys are wearing off and look like they have been printed badly. Im a heavy user so i expect this but i use the G5s more and the keyboards there are sparkling white, well printed keys and they get extreme abuse.

My main problem is the colours. It seems like my accesories have turned multiple colours but it does not wash off. The weirdest one is the remote. I have used it like 5 times yet it is stained. I dont smoke, i have been advised by apple to wash my hands as im a designer and may use an inkjet and toner once in a while and i have been asked to keep my curtans shut in the day which i do.

Summary

Well done for reading this far. To sum it up i have only recieved support for my accessories which hasa taken to months for a call back only to be asked the standard questions and interigation of the apple techs. I have provided my valid answers and im waiting for a call back on the verdict. The screen buzzing is being fixed by my local authoried service center and the guy will give the bootcamp problem a look at. Imho the company is much nicer than the apple geniuses who are normally cool people but also a little rude.

Im in ireland next week so i will not be affected by the repairs but hopefully all will end well soon.

Edited by boyblitz

Ok Josh. I will break this down into sub sections. But in short there is no solution just a long aukward silence which is all i have got from apple support. Just a rant on defective goods. But its being repaired now i hope so dont worry josh. This apple is not getting thrown out the window. :D

Bootcamp

Ok Bootcamp. Right when i install bootcamp and follow the instructions of the app all goes well except when it asks me to reboot so it can then load up the windows install cd and install windows. For you see what happens is thusly. The computer chimes i hold alt so i can force select the windows install cd (to be safe) and the screen goes black with minor graphical glitches like horizontal scanlines and the computer starts working on somemthing. So to see what is happening i plug in an external monitor. When i do this i am greeted with the windows install screen. So i go through the process on the external monitor.

Ok windows is install and it is now working on an external monitor. So the next step is to install the drivers. Which i have had to do in the past for so many years before switching. I used to be a dev and make apps on windows (shhh) so i like to think i got this stage perfect.

Now the drivers are installed i restart with no external montior and the screen is still black and it stays black right from boot up all the way through to loading the os. So i plug in external monitor and play some more and still no luck.

Now some reason it seems 1/3rd of 24 inchers seem to have this problem. But apple will not do anything as bootcamp is beta so im stuck till the release of leopard for a fix and obviously i cant get a replacement for a newer revision which will work.

What is interesting is these odd scanlines i get the same problem within certain apps such as eyetv.

A little huntch tells me nvidia have made a bad batch of cards or there is a slight change in the config of cards and apple devs are working hard on the solution (I hope).

Screen Buzz

Ok this one i hope is a simple problem. When i turn down my brightness i get a loud audible buzz. So i keep my brightness up and wear sunglasses. To fix this i have given this to my local service place who is working on this fault ready for next week.

*Note i have turned down brightness on other 24's and i dont get any noise nore does the reseller that sold me the computer get that problem in there store.

Pink, Brown, Orange keyboard, mighty mouse and apple remote

For the past two months i have been in contact with apple on this matter. My keyboard compared to the G5's we have in the studio is of poor quality. The inks on the keys are wearing off and look like they have been printed badly. Im a heavy user so i expect this but i use the G5s more and the keyboards there are sparkling white, well printed keys and they get extreme abuse.

My main problem is the colours. It seems like my accessories have turned multiple colours but it does not wash off. The weirdest one is the remote. I have used it like 5 times yet it is stained. I don't smoke, i have been advised by apple to wash my hands as im a designer and may use an inkjet and toner once in a while and i have been asked to keep my curtains shut in the day which i do.

Summary

Well done for reading this far. To sum it up i have only received support for my accessories which has taken to months for a call back only to be asked the standard questions and interrogation of the apple techs. I have provided my valid answers and I am waiting for a call back on the verdict. The screen buzzing is being fixed by my local authorized service center and the guy will give the bootcamp problem a look at. Imho the company is much nicer than the apple geniuses who are normally cool people but also a little rude.

Im in ireland next week so i will not be affected by the repairs but hopefully all will end well soon.

Awesome now hopefully you get some help. Although perhaps it is all hardware. Another thing that sounds good though is the buzzing. Perhaps they will end up swapping video cards in order to fix that.

Regarding the Asian tech support issue, I'd advise you to politely end the call and then call back and try your luck at getting a North American. I tried this last time I called Applecare with fantastic results. The folks in India are not only very difficult to understand but sound like they're reading everything from a scipt, so I feel your pain on that one.

I just had to have a hard drive replaced on my 20" G5 iMac through Applecare and the service was very, very good...which came as a surprise quite frankly. It was a self-install.

Good luck with the phone support, just keep trying.

Every time i have called applecare, i have gotten an american, (although some do have an accent, but america is a melting pot!) Because you are in the u.k. you probably will naturally get a foreigner.

I will say now that if you are a heavy user go to iskin.com or pbcovers.com and get a silicon keyboard protector. I decided to skimp, and when my keyboard was piled up with crap, i had to buy another one, and this time got a protector. Keyboard still looks new, and i can keep it that way with the washable protector.

As for the buzzing and other issues, have apple look at it. You seem to have the "Lemon". I guess someone was tired and skimped while making your equiptment. That's Life. It happened with my ibook. As for boot camp, it is stil beta, but you can always try parallels.

Good luck on your issue.

Edited by applgeek

When i run parralels the screen freezes and it tells me to turn off my computer in seven different laungages. As for the keyboard protection that is what i will be doing from now on i think. I wish i bought the skins for the mouse, keyboard and remote at mac expo. Nevermind.

Thanks guys/girls

This is a global economy we now live in, get used to it.

What's that supposed to mean?

What's that supposed to mean?

That means don't be surprised when you are speaking to people from another country for tech support. Pretty much every aspect of most economies are globalized in some way. Handle that how you want, I suppose, but my suggestion is that you get over it and move on.

Edited by joshr

That means don't be surprised when you are speaking to people from another country for tech support. Pretty much every aspect of most economies are globalized in some way. Handle that how you want, I suppose, but my suggestion is that you get over it and move on.

Agreed, but I suppose that doesn't mean we shouldn't push companies to offer support that is useful to its customers (which in most cases it will be); I'm sure boyblitz was in no way having a problem with the ethnic origin of his correspondents, only his ability to understand them. But please don't take this the wrong way.

Anyway, this is slightly off-topic. I was just a bit surprised by joshr's rather dismissive attitude towards of the difficulties people might face outside the US. It seems that the original poster had his problems resolved, so all has ended up well despite initial difficulties.

Yours,

W.

Agreed, but I suppose that doesn't mean we shouldn't push companies to offer support that is useful to its customers (which in most cases it will be); I'm sure boyblitz was in no way having a problem with the ethnic origin of his correspondents, only his ability to understand them. But please don't take this the wrong way.

Anyway, this is slightly off-topic. I was just a bit surprised by joshr's rather dismissive attitude towards of the difficulties people might face outside the US. It seems that the original poster had his problems resolved, so all has ended up well despite initial difficulties.

Yours,

W.

I was dismissive because I really felt like the poster was being a little racist initially not to mention very aggresive in the way he was asking questions. In the end he seems to have just been frustrated. Not only that but I am not sure he did get his troubles fixed and he was in a really tough situation. I didn't realize all the implications of bootcamp being "beta". This user obviously has a problem with his hardware, he can't return it and last we heard apple was refusing to fix it based on bootcamp being beta. Thats a joke. Honestly I think I stuck my foot in mouth to some extent but I was not without reason so I still sleep okay :).

The words "...they are mainly asain and dont understand my langauge." in the original post could be worded better (aside from the mis-spelling, missing punctuation and missing proper name capitalisation) and I can see, at a push, how this might be considered racist - though it would be a big push from my perspective. I sympathise with the originator of this thread in respect of his concern as we here in the UK certainly have a problem with off-shore call centres - many of which are based in India. The problems are often down to poor training and bad lines - though there can also be barrier in the lack of understanding between two different styles of English. (Before anyone mentions it... Yes, we in the UK have trouble understanding each other sometimes such is the diversity of accent here.) In some cases customer dissatisfaction has resulted in some companies basing them on our shores again. (I certainly have had cause to complain about the likes of British Telecom but they have yet to sit up and take notice.) As the last contributor but one suggested we don't have to accept all parts of a Global Economy - rather if we don't like something, wherever it is, we should complain so that it changes. That said I've yet to find an easy way of telling Apple of issues beyond those concerning products and services bought from them - this being about as good as it gets here - but there's only an address to write to for such.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

Did i forgot to say. 10 months later i got apple to replace my motherboard and its working. They took my computer in for repair at southampton, they run a diagnostic check told me nothing was wrong and i could come pick it up. I refused to collect it until they replaced the motherboard to see if bootcamp would work (& resolve other problems according to my theory). They did not do it tho until i spoke to the manager out of pure luck and confused her with made up techy lingo.

Did i forgot to say. 10 months later i got apple to replace my motherboard and its working. They took my computer in for repair at southampton, they run a diagnostic check told me nothing was wrong and i could come pick it up. I refused to collect it until they replaced the motherboard to see if bootcamp would work (& resolve other problems according to my theory). They did not do it tho until i spoke to the manager out of pure luck and confused her with made up techy lingo.

Nice. Gotta get in where you can sometimes. I'm glad all your bootcamp issues have been resolved. As about your stained keyboard, remote, and mouse, have you tried using not-acetone fingernail polish remover? Supposedly, and you may want to look around for this as it's been a while and I've had a beer or hundreds since then, when the white Macbooks were having that staining around the handrests problem, the non-acetone fingernail polish remover worked. However, I would advice that you be extremely careful with this stuff and make sure that was the right solution that took the discoloring off the Macbooks. Also, try it on a very small, unnoticeable spot first, just incase. Perhaps someone else will have something to try. What all have you tried so far as to getting the discoloration off? What chemicals?