joshimacvid

How much RAM do You need for video editing

How much RAM do You need for video editing?

I thought 1 gig would be enough but some one told me that 2 gigs is the minimum for video editing.

Edited by joshimacvid

How much RAM do You need for video editing?

I thought 1 gig would be enough but some one told me that 2 gigs is the minimum for video editing.

yes it's true, 1GB will not be enough.

yes it's true, 1GB will not be enough.

It depends on how much editing you're doing, just as a hobby, doing the odd home movie, 1 GB is just fine. If you're doing it a lot, or professionally or for school, then as much as you can afford.

It depends on how much editing you're doing, just as a hobby, doing the odd home movie, 1 GB is just fine. If you're doing it a lot, or professionally or for school, then as much as you can afford.

also, i will add that even if you're not doing video editing, getting as much ram as you can afford is generally a good idea. i have 2gb of ram and i barely ever do video editing.. but i monitor my computer's stats all the time, and a lot of it is being used. in other words, i'm really glad i got it.

I general, I get as much RAM as I can afford. However, I have survived iMovies with 512MB of RAM for almost 5 years. No, it was not that terribly slow.

I was amazed when I bought my first RAM upgrade for a mac. It really made a HUGE difference.

Macs love RAM! This is especially true for Rosetta apps.

Get as much as is sensible to buy. At the moment the 2Gb sticks are pretty pricey. So 2Gb total is a good way to go.

BUT to answer your question, 1 Gb will be fine for the occassional video editing.

Edited by Eye_Doc

If you're a consumer editing video you'll probably be fine with 1GB. If you're a professionl you'll want more.

Given how inexpensive RAM is these days, I'm at a loss for why someone wouldn't max out their machine.

If you're a consumer editing video you'll probably be fine with 1GB. If you're a professionl you'll want more.

Given how inexpensive RAM is these days, I'm at a loss for why someone wouldn't max out their machine.

When I upgraded from 512 to 1g i could not believe the difference. I'm tempted to upgrade to 2g but i hate to have to discard the ram i have now as they are both 512 sticks.

cheers