Sign in to follow this  
GreenAlien

iPod Mini - difference between 1st and 2nd gen?

My mother has just bought a 4gb iPod Mini (I suggested she wait for a couple of weeks in case Apple announce a new ones but she needed it asap).

Now what I'd like to know is how to tell if the 4gb iPod Mini she has purchased is 1st or 2nd generation, because it's since come to my attention that the 2nd gen iPod Minis have an extra 6 hours battery life.

Is it just the 6gb iPod Mini which are classed as 2nd generation, or are newer 4gb Minis also classed as 2nd generation too? If so, how do I tell for sure if this one is 2nd gen? Anyone know?

The extra 2gb was not enough incentive to her to pay the extra for the 6gb version, but if that also comes with an extra 6 hours (18 vs 12) battery life then it would pay to return it and pay the extra.

Thanks, Ant

Quick follow up. Well it says "up to 18 hours" on the box, so I'm assuming it's a 2nd gen iPod mini. Whether the "up to.." part is just to cover the whole range (4gb and 6gb) I don't know but I'm assuming it applies to the iPod inside the box!

Something of more concern is that my moms Sony laptop only has USB 1.1 and 4-pin Firewire, and the manual only says "USB 2.0", and that "USB 1.1 is not supported". Sounds very odd to me and I don't understand why it didn't just say 1.1 is many times slower. Looks like another technicality to overcome (sigh).

Looks like I'll either have to find some way of adding usb 2.0 to the laptop or get some kind of contraption that uses the power from the usb 1.1 port and the 4-pin firewire port for comms.

..Ant

One futher thing. I noticed in Argos (a UK store) that the iPod Mini comes with an AC adaptor, but one didn't come with this one. I was on the understanding that it did not come with an AC adaptor so I put that down to a typo in Argos's catalogue. I also nipped back into Dixons (where it was purchased) to confirm the 6gb version doesnt come with an AC adaptor (that would of been enough incentive to switch the 4gb for the 6gb model).

Then I came across someones blog stating the iPod Mini DOES come with an AC adaptor. So that either means first gen iPod Minis come with them but 2nd gen do not, or it depends which country you're in. Hmmm.

I remember when I bought my 3G iPod it came with the dock, adaptor, holster etc - how times have changed. Wouldn't be so bad if Apple charged reasonable prices for the accessories.

..Ant

the menu play ect buttna are the same color as the ipod and it has the size printed on the back, and it doesn't come with a charger

The iPod mini seems to work fine with USB 1.1, albeit slowely (obviously). Took a couple of hours to copy 3 gbs over which is not too bad, especially as future updates will be incremental. Was quite alot slower than my 3G iPod (over firewire) but wouldnt say 40 times slower - maybe 10 to 15 times slower. Really nice little player. I much prefer it over my 3G iPod (apart from the smaller harddisk)! The click wheel feels great. The fact that my mother (not very techy!) got to grips with it from the outset speaks volumes for the ease of use.

..Ant