BlackSunshine

Who still uses their old Mac?

Just thought i would see who else uses their old macs from years gone by. I'm on my iMac G3 350 right now for that nostalgic feeling. My main mac is an iMac core duo but i love jumping on my G3. Just wanted to make sure i'm not insane so help me out everyone and prove i'm not alone. B)

There is still something about my PowerBook which I can't let go of, much as I really need to sell it.

I'm on my iMac G3 350 right now for that nostalgic feeling.

That's not an old mac.

I still use a Mac IIsi. I have a special nuBus card (paid $1500 for it!) and wrote custom software to make it do highly specialized real-time video processing for me. It still does. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. I think it's running MacOS 7. (I keep a Mac IIci, which also has a nuBus slot, in the closet in case the IIsi croaks. And I keep a PPC 8500/180, running MacOS 8.6, as a way to connect to the IIsi via AppleTalk/Localtalk and my current G4 desktop via Ethernet - and also read the occasional old 400/800/k diskette.) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I also have an old Fat Mac in the closet trciked out with 4MB or RAM and a 10MB external SCSI HD in the closet! It still works, but it's not in use. Now that's an old Mac.

Edited by car1son

I have had my Power Mac G5 system for 18 months and I am obviously still using it. I do not see buying a new desktop in the near future. A MacBook is a different story, possibly. ;)

I'm still using my first mac which is a PowerBook G4 12 inch. I love it do death, but I really do need to sell it...it's not fast enough to process video off my new camera, so I need to get a MacBook or MBP.

Yeah I'm the same, I got a Black Macbook over the summer, and i know I should sell my 12" Powerbook, but i just cant part with it. It was my first mac!

I have my PowerBook basically running as my server. It downloads stuff using BitTorrent, then serves it up on AFP. It also acts as the owner for my Hamachi VPN. I think I can get a copy of OS X Server from work, which they offer so we can familiarize ourselves with it rather than screw up a client's Xserve. So, I may set that up on the PowerBook and create an Open Directory managed mobile account for myself that I can use on my two Macs and my work laptop, keeping them all in sync. That would be cool.

I am a pretty new mac user (2 years) so my oldest mac is an iMac G5 1.6GHz. I'd like to replace it, but I don't really want to spend the money at the moment.

I still use all the Macs in my signature, they work great!

roog

I sold my iBook to a buddy going off to school at a big-time discounted rate cause I knew he needed a laptop and didn't have tons of extra cash lying around to buy one (who does?) but I must admit I miss my iBook big time.

I would love to have an old iBook back to just browse the internet and carry around with me for simple extra stuff.

I have my PowerBook basically running as my server.

That's interesting. One of the reasons I bought an eMac was so I could run it 24/7 as a server, iTunes player/podcast downloader and such. I still do most of my browsing, eMail, document prep and such on an older, slower Powerbook. I was afraid to leave the PowerBook on 24/7 because it runs so hot and the fan is usually at max; I figured it'd fry itself in no time with a full-time duty cycle.

I am going to buy a new mac soon and was looking at the MacWorld article that give ideas for old macs

Old Mac New Tricks

Back up server

home automation

jutebox

Edited by joshimacvid

When I'm feeling artsy, I break out the old Macintosh SE and do some writing. Or mess around in the spreadsheeter.

Colorless screens for life, heh.

I just got a macbook, and when i get another intel desktop i do not want to get rid of the mini. In fact, i may buy anther ppc.

I MISS ALTIVEC!!!! :(

Chalk up another adoring 12"PB owner. I would NEVER part with it as it is my favorite computer of all time.

It is currently sitting under my TV to act as a little media centre.

Until recently I was using my 450MHz G4 AGP Power Mac but since I needed to save up for an Intel Mac, I sold it to one of my client's kids. Hard to believe that machine that got me from 1999 to 2006 which I beefed up with RAM, hard drives, an airport card etc... is now being used by a 6 year old. Hopefully he'll use it for many more years - it is running Tiger at this point. It originally came with OS 8.6. I tend to hang on my Macs - ever since my first Mac - a Mac Plus in 1986. Although I must say I am very happy with my Mac Pro - they do get better and better.

That's interesting. One of the reasons I bought an eMac was so I could run it 24/7 as a server, iTunes player/podcast downloader and such. I still do most of my browsing, eMail, document prep and such on an older, slower Powerbook. I was afraid to leave the PowerBook on 24/7 because it runs so hot and the fan is usually at max; I figured it'd fry itself in no time with a full-time duty cycle.

It's been running that way for a few months and has been fine. I pulled the battery out and most of the time the screen is off, so that helps with any heat issues. Usually when I sit down and start using it, the fan will kick in some almost immediately, but then between Azureus, Hamachi, and then me using Firefox, the poor old 867mhz CPU runs at a fairly high percentage when I'm sitting there. Azureus is a pig, but it's the most powerful BT client out there, so I don't mind running it on a machine I'm not in front of all the time. I used to have it manage iTunes stuff as well, but the MacBook is so much faster at encoding that I decided it makes more sense to manage iTunes on that instead.

i still have the G3 iMac 350 Mhz dont use it much, but still have it as a back up in case the macbook need to be sent to apple or somthing. I would almost still use it! but it would do my video work!

All of my mac minis are building up....soon i will have an intel imac!