philipsoo

Request for tip: Open New Mail window with hot key??

Hi folks,

Anyone know how to set up a hot key to open up a New Mail window? I would love to be able to

configure this hot key to work from any application, including Finder.

I've tried setting it up from the System Preferences but it will not allow it to work from any application.

So many times, I'd like to shoot off a quick email to someone, and it always takes a few mouse clicks--not

convenient. Given how much all of us use Mail, this would be a really welcome tip!

Any ideas? THanks,

Phil.

Hi folks,

Anyone know how to set up a hot key to open up a New Mail window? I would love to be able to

I've tried setting it up from the System Preferences but it will not allow it to work from any application.

So many times, I'd like to shoot off a quick email to someone, and it always takes a few mouse clicks--not

convenient. Given how much all of us use Mail, this would be a really welcome tip!

Any ideas? THanks,

Phil.

I wouldn't know how to open a new mail message from anywhere, but in Safari you can hold Apple Key + Shift + I to send the current page as a link, or Apple Key + I to send the HTML of the current page in a new message.

use automator

write a script that opens mail and new message. Then set one on the buttons on your mouse to open that script.

That's a good idea thanks! One reasonably quick trick I've discovered that works when the Mail application is already open is to click the mail icon, hold down the mouse button for a couple seconds, then drag down to Compose New Message.

I'll try automator tonight.

Phil.

use automator

write a script that opens mail and new message. Then set one on the buttons on your mouse to open that script.

Hi,

I set up the Automator script to do this. But how do I assign a hotkey to execute the shortcut? I've tried saving

it as an application tun it from the dock. I've also tried saving it as a plugin. but none of these allow me to use a

keyboard shortcut to run the script.

Thanks!

Phil.

use automator

you could always just make a one step workflow. the new message command. save that as an application. then put that app in the dock. now its only one click away rather than two.

edit: oh, looks like i didnt read all the posts carefully enough.. someone already mentioned the dock. well i personally prefer one click over one keyboard shortcut.

Edited by joe28753

I know on my mouse (a microsoft) I can assign any button to do anything.

Maby you could buy a program that alows you do open anything with you mouse...

You could launch the workflow with Quicksilver or Spotlight. Not exactly a keyboard shortcut but still pretty quick.

(you could also set the default action for Mail in Quicksilver as "Email to...(Compose)")

I know on my mouse (a microsoft) I can assign any button to do anything.

Maby you could buy a program that alows you do open anything with you mouse...

oh thats a good idea. that works with my mighty mouse. you can just select which button, such as clicking the scroll wheel, and choose the application you made in automator, and it works perfectly.

Not a complete solution I'm afraid (unless you want to spend $15), but if you type mailto: into Safari (but don't press return), then drag the url onto the desktop (or anywhere else) then onto the right hand side of the dock, you've got a new mail window in one click.

You can obviously drag this url to the Safari bookmarks bar too...

If you want to assign it to a keystroke then you need something like AliasKeys I thiink (I haven't tried it, but it looks like it will work.

Hope this gives someone some ideas...

Tim

How about just adding Mail to your Login Items, so it's already open, then using Command+Tab to activate it, then Command+N to start a new message?

first create a stand alone app using automator to create the new message. Then use quicksilver and assign a "trigger" such as ctrl-esc to launch this stand alone app. works beautifully. ctrl-esc, new mail message opens, no matter where you are or what you are doing.

DN

I'd second what devinnamaky said, but you don't even need the automator script. If you set the default action in mail to be compose, then you just need Option + Space (whatever you set your quicksilver activation combo to be) then hold down the m key.