Vitaliy

Word Processing

I am looking for a word processor, mainly to take notes in class. I am currently using Pages from iWork but since it has a different use in mind, it's as flexible on the fly and a bit awkward to use. Meanwhile the popular Microsoft Office, besides feeling dirty using a Microsoft product, it is a bit slow on my Intel machine.

Any other suggestions?

Word is one of the best out there for note-taking, with it's Notebook view. You may also want to check out OmniOutliner.

Theres also a program called IdeaKnot, its good for organizing thoughts and ideas, though maybe abit too clunky for serious notetaking.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Microsoft Office - because of the fanboy in me, the UI of the application, and the fact that it is not Intel based I will maintain my distance.

OmniOutliner - looks like a really interesting application, defiantly introduced a new way of doing things. I will keep it around and will try to get used to it but it is still way to new for me to use daily.

IdeaKnot - the whole application looks and feels way too "janky" when comparing to other alternatives suggested.

AbiWord - I have hard time trying it again, over the past couple of years I have been checking it out periodically on my Linux machines.... the application seemed fast but crashed on me on regular basis. OS X version is ugly too.

For now I'll stick to iWork's Pages and will play around with OmniOutliner more! :)

Textedit.

Really. It is great for quick notes, and makes files that are largely readable, and there's nothing wrong with it. You will like to know that option-8 is a bullet point, option-p is the pi symbol, and on and on. Option is great for stuff like that.

Well i would recommend that you get Office, yes its by Microsoft and yes its slow on an intel mac but if you want the best the office it is. I tryed using many different products but i ended up with office.

I just did a piece on this kind of thing on my podcast (shameless plug, the link is in my sig) and Basden did one on the blog. I like sidenote. If you want something more standalone, just use TextEdit built into OS X. I also second the vote for OmniOutliner as it's pretty good looking and works real well. Just use the search feature on erratum5.net to find sidenote.

After reading this thread looking for a tip on a free word processor I downloaded neooffice and have been very happy. For note-taking my guess is that it would be too much, too long to load for taking class in notes (to think I used to do it with a pentium back in 1997 powered winbook and had to wait 5 minutes for startup, ughh) and more than you would need. However, after seeing the price for microsoft office I though I would at least give neooffice a try and....

It's great. No compatiblity problems opening saving word documents or Corel Wordperfect documents. No problems for other people opening the docs (as long as you save it correctly) As I've always preferred wordperfect this has really made my day. I don't have to boot up the old computer to read college stuff and it has a whole suite, for free. But for taking notes in school, use something simpler, moving your notes later into an outline will only help you organize and study.

Back when I was allowed to take my laptop into school (long story), I used a combo of Pages, NeoOffice, OmniGraffle, and OmniOutliner.

I would use pages for standard word processing, NeoOffice for spreadsheets OmniGraffle for flowcharts and OmniOutliner for outlines. I used Pages and outline the most. I am also proud to say that I have not corrupted my Laptop by putting office on it.

I use Omni Outliner Pro or Mindjet Mindmanager. Omni Outliner Pro is extremely flexible for taking notes in a linear fashion. If you are more creative and you are very visual you will appreciate Mindmanager. Mindmanager is a mind mapping piece of software.

If you are looking to go beyond quick note taking I would suggestion Mellel. This word processor is designed for serious writers and academic projects. It handles foreign languages such as Hebrew, so it is very flexible.