joshimacvid

How do yu get a hi 8 tape on to you computer

I am trying to convert a hi 8 tape to dvd once the video is on the computer I am ok

but how do you get it on the computer?

If the camera has a firewire port to connect to the computer use imovie then plug in the camera and click import. If it doesnt then get a dv bridge they cost somewhere in the $60-$80 range.

THe easiest way would be to find a Sony Camcorder that uses Digital8 it'll have the i.Link(firewire) port that'll work with your Mac, but can still play and record the old Hi8 tapes. But if you don't know anyone that has a Digial8 camera, and firewire video capture device to do it via analog connection is the only option.

any other ideas

is there a regular sized tape that is hollow that you can stick an hi 8 tape in to?

I have seen them for other formats of tape

Edited by joshimacvid

You're probably thinking of VHS-C which can be played in a VHS machine with a suitable caddy. I don't think such exists for other formats. The "bridge" referred to above is probably something like Formac's "Studio DV" unit - a variety of types of which are on the market - Canopus being a maker of more professional units. I have a Pinnacle Systems "MovieBox DV" - a product which I think has been discontinued but which which bakes the cakes in my home video world of Video 8 & VHS. Still, roll on the day cameras with hard drives are cheap - so making tapes a thing of the past for me.

You're probably thinking of VHS-C which can be played in a VHS machine with a suitable caddy. I don't think such exists for other formats. The "bridge" referred to above is probably something like Formac's "Studio DV" unit - a variety of types of which are on the market - Canopus being a maker of more professional units. I have a Pinnacle Systems "MovieBox DV" - a product which I think has been discontinued but which which bakes the cakes in my home video world of Video 8 & VHS. Still, roll on the day cameras with hard drives are cheap - so making tapes a thing of the past for me.

They used to make a Hi-8 to VHS adapter, but even if you can find one, you don't want to use it. They had a nasty habit of eating tapes. You'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1 in three chance to lose your tape by using one of them.

If you only need to transfer a very few tapes, some places offer the transfer as a service. Paying someone to do it regularly quickly will add up to more than the price of the bridge type devices already suggested. But if it's a one-shot deal then it may be preferable. The only place I know for absolutely sure that does it is The Source By Circuit City in Canada, which is where I work. But hopefully you can find somewhere close by that isn't too expensive.

gekko

it has no firewire port what is this bridge thing?

Does the camera not even have a USB port? What is the camera model? It is hard to believe that a Hi-8 digital camera does not have either a USB or Firewire (sometimes referred to as iLink on Sony equipment).

Your only option is to either find a friend with a digital camera that has a Firewire port or get a component A/V to Firewire or USB conversion box. The latter option is not too cheap, however. You might check into something like the Plextor converter box in the link below, but you should do some research to make sure it works with the Mac before purchasing, of course.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Plextor_ConvertX_P...1/10364440.html

Hi 8 is not a digital format - it's analogue - and, yes, I'm using the British spelling. This explains, to a large extent, why a digital feed from the camera is not available. (There may have been some more sophisticated models offering such but I doubt it.) So, a converter box like the ones suggested by me (see the note at the end of this post) and the last poster is certainly the way to go - unless, that is, your requirements are limited and so the service provider option suggested earlier will be best. (The problem with the latter, though, is that they will almost certainly knock it out in a format which will be hard to convert for use in, say, iMovie and iDVD if post-conversion editing is your objective.) One thing to bear in mind if you go with the hardware option is the bundled software - most units coming with something which only works on a PC - but that is largely irrelevant as the output, a DV signal via Firewire, is quite clearly seen (as a camera) by iMovie. If you'll never use the bundled software (e.g. on an actual PC or via virtualisation) then go for a unit with none - as rare as they are - as such may be cheaper. Finally, I mentioned the Formac "Studio DV" in a previous post but realise now that it's not available in the USA but the "Studio TVR" is - something which also acts as a television - though whether it will suit your feed (i.e. terrestrial aeriel/cable/satellite) or even your needs I don't know.

I have a Sony digital camcorder and I use Hi-8 tapes because that and Digital8 tapes is what is called for. Is the camcorder actually recording analog video to that tape?

Edited by kwsanders

That's taught me - about compatability - something I should have read in the link I gave. See this part of it if need be.

I did not see the Hi8 underlined as a link in the first post. Thanks for the information.

That's OK. It's a shame the hyperlinks aren't automatically displayed in a different colour.

I have a Sony digital camcorder and I use Hi-8 tapes because that and Digital8 tapes is what is called for. Is the camcorder actually recording analog video to that tape?

It's still recording a digital signal to the tape, there really is no difference between a Hi8 and Digital8 tape.

it has no firewire port what is this bridge thing?

A dv bridge is a converter where all you have to do is plug in the av cables(red yellow and white chords) from your camera into the bridge and then the bridge converts it to dv(digital Video) and it has a firewire connection that you just plug into your computer. you can get them on ebay

My DV camcorder has a passthrough mode AV to DV so I don't need one of those. All I need is a way to play back a HI8 tape.

It's strange that you have a DV camera with a pass-through feature but no Firewire connection. More information is needed...

1. Is the Hi8 tape content in Hi8 format or Digital8 format?

2. What make and model is the camera?

You were asked the second question before by another but didn't provide an answer.

Edited by Harry_The_Bustard

the tape is HI8

The camcorder someone was goin to lend me no longer works so I have to buy one.

Any segestions where and what modle to buy

If you've only got one tape and you don't mind a third party seeing it then use a company to convert it to, say miniDV, and buy a miniDV camera - they being better than Hi8 - though I can't recommend any companies or cameras. See this for further advice and guidance - and don't worry about it being two and a half years old as it's pretty relevant today. Incidentally, you keep saying the tape is Hi8 but not whether it contains a Hi8 recording or a Digital8 one. (I trust you've read this - mentioned earlier - about how the two formats share one media.) Still, that should be irrelevant if you choose the above route as the service provider will work it out.

I have maby over 100 tapes and I could not afford to convert them all that way.

I have maby over 100 tapes and I could not afford to convert them all that way.

If you're in the market for a new camcorder, many of them nowadays feature video pass-through, which would allow them to function like the bridge piece of hardware that has been suggested.

Quite expensive if its only purpose is to allow you to convert those tapes, but if you're going to buy a new camcorder for christmas anyways...

Just be careful, as not all makes or models offer this feature.

gekko