jchiar

New mac question!

Hi,

Switcher here! I just bought my first mac.. Thanks alot to Adam, as ive been listending to his podcasts for 6 months prior to the switch tething on my descision:)

Any way, my first question is regarding to the ilife suite (itunes and iphoto specifically).

I see there is an option to copy music to the itunes library and copy photos to the iphoto library when adding to the library.

Any reason for this?

whats the pro's and cons?

Thanks a bunch !

Pros, keeps photos/music organized and in a central place.

Cons, could take up more space by having multiple copies of stuff unless you remove the originals, the organization structure (for iphoto anyway) can be abit wonky when in finder.

I don't use iphoto so I can't help you there. For itunes if you choose keep my music organized under the advanced tab in the preferences it will copy everything you add to itunes in to your user folder under music.

Hi,

Switcher here! I just bought my first mac.. Thanks alot to Adam, as ive been listending to his podcasts for 6 months prior to the switch tething on my descision:)

Any way, my first question is regarding to the ilife suite (itunes and iphoto specifically).

I see there is an option to copy music to the itunes library and copy photos to the iphoto library when adding to the library.

Any reason for this?

whats the pro's and cons?

Thanks a bunch !

The way it works is like this. Lets say you a big folder full of music. If you import (drag into iTunes) your music, iTunes keeps it organized for you, and you can delete that big folder you had. That way you only have one copy of your music. But dont worry about trying to go through your iTunes music library folder in the finder to find songs, instead browse through iTunes and just drag a song file onto the desktop. This will copy the song to your desktop. you could then send it to someone, then delete it. your song is always safe in the iTunes music folder.

If you want to be able to work outside iTunes - e.g. to locate groups such as albums in the Finder - then if you have the preference "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" set make sure you also have "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" set too. Otherwise it'll all go in one folder - and what "fun" that will be to peruse. Note that the organisation referred to relies on the tags (see this example) in the files being imported - not usually a problem if it comes from a known CD whilst online - but if it's from another source and any tags contain incorrect data you could end up with organised chaos. I expect you've got some digital files (e.g. MP3) already so import them all with both these preferences set and compare the source data structure with the "iTunes Music" one in iTunes. If you don't like the latter you could modify the tags via iTunes and then move the files to where you want them - iTunes usually being "intelligent" enough to find them. Whatever you do make sure you have a backup of your music before starting - and then take another when you're done - and whenever you modify iTunes. (Once the import and maybe edit phases are complete and the data is backed up you can delete your original source data - i.e. that you had outside iTunes.) Finally, for what it's worth, my girlfriend and I keep our CD-sourced music on a pair of external drives - one a mirror of the other for security purposes - our music collection being so large that it would take up too much space on our (media centre) Mac mini were we to let iTunes have it. We also back our Mac mini (and "iTunes Music" folder) based purchased music and podcasts to those drives - so making three sets but there we are. Of course we could move our iTunes libraries (one each) to the master drive of that pair but we're not that organised - yet.