cooperrose

Hiding the apple

I have seen many tv shows/ movies where they have a mac laptop and they always have a sticker or something over the apple on the lid why would you do that?

I'd assume it's to avoid product placement - something which is banned by the BBC here in the UK - though I've never seen them go that far. Apple portables are used in one of their day-time programmes in which punters watch a video recording of properties someone thinks they may buy - a great show, like much of their daytime material, if you're just waiting to die - and even their newscasters often have a Dell (laptop) on their desks.

Apple has a strict policy about getting permission to use their products on television and in movies. Because it's a hassle to deal with, most shows simply cover the Apple Logo.

Apple has a strict policy about getting permission to use their products on television and in movies. Because it's a hassle to deal with, most shows simply cover the Apple Logo.

Haven't heard of that... seems weird to me. Why would they be strict about getting free press.

I would have guessed the show/movie asked Apple if they wanted product placement and Apple didn't pony up the cash, so out comes the sticker. That was just my assumption though.

I am working on a boring reality TV show as an editor and behold: I got footage on my desk where a character is sitting on a sofa typing on a silverish notebook with a white apple logo on the lid. Mac geeg that I am that makes me happy. A few minutes later I get a over-shoulder shot where I can see the fingers typing on a BLACK keyboard. That rose my suspicion, because the last Mac that had a black keyboard was quite a while back. I look closer and shuttle through the rest of the footage, and I find out that someone just stuck the apple-sticker on a silverish cheepedy-cheap pc notebook.

What does a responsible mac-geek do in such a case?

Well I did what I could to make the thing look like a MacBook or Powerbook by just using shots and angels, where only a seasoned mac-geek would see that there is something fishy. Got to seek out the guy who stuck that sticker on that windows-box. Great Job.

I'd assume it's to avoid product placement - something which is banned by the BBC here in the UK - though I've never seen them go that far. Apple portables are used in one of their day-time programmes in which punters watch a video recording of properties someone thinks they may buy - a great show, like much of their daytime material, if you're just waiting to die - and even their newscasters often have a Dell (laptop) on their desks.

Product placement is definitely not banned in the BBC, remember that docu-drama about the boxing day tsunami? Every LCD tv featured in the show was a Samsung, logo's clearly in view.

I just have to, when we're speaking of product placement...

If you're referring to the comment by Pres. Bush, I belive you should take out the "LCD" part. That was pretty damn funny, though.