pixelZION

iPod in looping reset

Anyone ever had a looping reset problem?

I get the black screen w/ the white apple...then the main iPod screen (artists, albums, etc.) then a few seconds later...another reset.

I just restored to factory settings (although it's at home, and I'm at work, so I don't know if that fixed anything).

Just worried about it now. What could it be?

Thanks

I have seen this once before. After a reset, it seemed to be fixed and I have not seen it since. That happened several months ago.

ok, so the restore didn't work.

I restored it, and ejected my iPod. I could go through the menus and stuff, no reset. Thought everything was fine. So I put all my music, videos, photos, and contacts/calendars back on. As soon as that was done (day and a half later) I ejected my iPod. Right back to the looping reset. AARRRGGHHH.

I restored again. This time, I selected to manually manage my tunes. I put a few songs, a few vids, my photos, and contacts/calendars back on. Looping reset continues.

I restored again, but this time first used Disk Utility to format the iPod (don't know what that'd do, but did it anyways). This time I put 25 random songs on, a couple vids, some podcasts, NO photos, and NO contacts/calendars. Best of all, NO looping reset.

I know this may not make sense, and I'll probably find a better answer, but it seems like my iPod didn't like my photos and/or contacts/calendars anymore. Anyone ever heard of that? All my music, vids, and podcasts are synced to the iPod now. And I have managed to elude the looping reset. So what I can't use photos anymore. Better that then having to spend $$ to get my iPod fixed.

ok, so the restore didn't work.

I restored it, and ejected my iPod. I could go through the menus and stuff, no reset. Thought everything was fine. So I put all my music, videos, photos, and contacts/calendars back on. As soon as that was done (day and a half later) I ejected my iPod. Right back to the looping reset. AARRRGGHHH.

I restored again. This time, I selected to manually manage my tunes. I put a few songs, a few vids, my photos, and contacts/calendars back on. Looping reset continues.

I restored again, but this time first used Disk Utility to format the iPod (don't know what that'd do, but did it anyways). This time I put 25 random songs on, a couple vids, some podcasts, NO photos, and NO contacts/calendars. Best of all, NO looping reset.

I know this may not make sense, and I'll probably find a better answer, but it seems like my iPod didn't like my photos and/or contacts/calendars anymore. Anyone ever heard of that? All my music, vids, and podcasts are synced to the iPod now. And I have managed to elude the looping reset. So what I can't use photos anymore. Better that then having to spend $ to get my iPod fixed.

I was having the same problem suddenly last week. After reading your suggestions, I also fixed the problem by restoring and not loading the photos, contacts or calendars. I stopped by the Apple store today and the genius told me that it has to do with corrupted calendar files. He recommended exporting the calendar files, one for each calendar, to the desktop and then deleting the calendar from iCal. Then import your exported files back into iCal and it will fix the corrupted file or files. I did this and it worked. Thanks for posting your problem.

Different but similar problem. My 4th gen iPod would not restart after I stopped it. I would have to reset it to get it to restart. This seemed to only occur when I was listening to an audiobook. I have a Mac, but this iPod I usually use with my Windows XP machine (I manually manage the iPod). I tried many different things. I deleted the audiobook I was listening to and copied it back to the iPod; I reencoded it at a different bit rate. Nothing worked. Finally I used a great program, iGadget to copy all my files off the iPod and restored it. I then copied everything back and same problem. I tried defragging the iPod in Windows and using chkdsk.

Then I read this thread. Another function of iGadget is to sync Outlook files to the iPod. I've been using it to copy my calendar, notes, contacts AND calendar from Outlook to the iPod. So, I read this thread and then deleted the calendar file on the iPod. I've tried replicating the problem and it appears to be gone.

I'll contact the iGadget developer, but it appears that any calendar file can screw things up.

Nick