Sign in to follow this  
GavinT

My Mac Cant detect External HDD, why?

hi, what am i doing wrong, i plug in the external usb 2.0 hdd but nothing happens, am i saposed to do something? thanks

Have you restarted the Mac and tried again? Sometimes this helps me. Make sure the AC adapter for the hdd is plugged in too, before turning it on and plugging it into the Mac.

Does it work if you connect it directly to the Mac, not through a hub?

Certainly try the restarting while it's plugged in thing, it does the trick in my experience. Will it boot on other Macs?

Also if it's a new drive, it might need to be formatted before it can be used. Open up System Profiler to check if your machine is recognizing it, or even go ahead and open Disk Utility to see if the drive is available to be reformatted.

If it is a do-it-yourself external drive enclosure, try reseating the drive in the connectors, making sure it's flush and see if that doesn't help your situation at all. :wink:

I had this problem not too long ago. My Maxtor Firewire drive was working fine, then one day I plugged it in and it wouldn't mount. It showed up in Disk Utility, but wouldn't let me mount it from there either. Disk Warrior didn't help. I had to format. It was in Fat32 (factory settings), so I'm guessing there was a file structure corruption. I formatted as HFS, and it's been working ever since. Too bad I lost all that info. :(

Out.