joenspa

Dual Link DVI with 2 monitors?

I'm completely confused on this one.

I understand that it takes a Dual Link DVI to run a 30" Cinema display. What if you want to run 2 - 20 or 23 inch Cinema displays? Can that be done off the same Dual Link DVI port? That's what the name implies to me.

Man this is a tougher question than I thought. What I have found so far is a "Dual Link DVI Splitter Cable" that according to the guy selling it splits the signal to two monitors for mirrored images on those two monitors. They would NOT be two independent monitor signals.

One guy at Best Buy tried to convince me that Dual Link meant it had 2 output connectors on the card and not that it was a different standard. Gotta love those places.

That's what I have learned about Dual Link DVI so far.

A single link DVI supports a resolution up to 1920x1200, and a dual link can support up to 2560x1600. The problem isn't really the number of screens, but the resolution those displays will run.

A 20" Cinema display has a resolution of 1680x1050. Double that and you get 3360x2100. See the problem? :)

Matrox has just given out Mac support for the DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go. I'm sure about the resolution you can get on those, but check it out. I'm guessing http://www.matrox.com

The dual in dual link refers to Pixels per clock cycle, it can sent twice as many pixels to the monitor.

The Wikipedia article on this is quite good.

Dual link means that you can run a bigger screen off the port. If you want to run 2 displays:

# You can use a card that has 2 DVI port, all card that ship with that Mac Pro have 2 DVI port. The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT has one single-link DVI port and one dual-link DVI port.

# You can have 2 or more Graphics cards in you computer.

# You can use a DualHead2Go as Daniel Elessedil Kjeserud suggested, that makes the computer think it has one big screen when it really has 2 smaller screens.

A 20" Cinema display has a resolution of 1680x1050. Double that and you get 3360x2100. See the problem? :)

Actually two 20" displays would be 3360x1050 (if side by side) OR 1680x2100 (one above the oter), 3360x2100 would be 4 displays in a 2x2 grid.

does anyone know if there is a product like the triplehead2go from matrox but dvi not vga.

I can't help you with a solution.

What Mac system are you wanting to use? was if it's a tower it may be easier to just add another graphics card. Also what resolutions are the screens you are loking to use? as the the Matrox set ups seems to be limited to 1280 x 1024 per display.

The word 'dual' has nothing to do with dual monitors. What it actually means is that a dual link dvi port actually uses twice as many wires to transfer the digital video signal. It's like pairing two cables together to carry more bandwidth. But they won't work independently. It's just to give more bandwidth to allow higher resolutions.

You don't need dual link to run 2 monitors. What you need is a graphics card that has 2 monitor ports. Which rules everything but a tower out.

Edited by Morn

The word 'dual' has nothing to do with dual monitors. What it actually means is that a dual link dvi port actually uses twice as many wires to transfer the digital video signal. It's like pairing two cables together to carry more bandwidth. But they won't work independently. It's just to give more bandwidth to allow higher resolutions.

You don't need dual link to run 2 monitors. What you need is a graphics card that has 2 monitor ports. Which rules everything but a tower out.

or an imac using the mini vga out.