Sign in to follow this  
SirThom

Mac mini: 1.25 Ghz vs. 1.42 Ghz, AirPort Reception?

Hello again!

1. Is the 170 Mhz difference between the two Mac mini models worth $100? The only other difference I see is the HD, which I can get built-to-order for $45 (via my educational discount), so I'm curious if it's really worth it.

2. I've heard that the AirPort signal strength isn't so good on the Mac mini. Is this true? How much of a performance hit does it have?

Thanks for all the good info,

~ Tom

Bah. Well, I just noticed that with the next model ($58 more than my configured $479 model, with tax) also has AirPort and Bluetooth built in...I'll take that and 170 Mhz for $58! :D

Sorry for just answering my own question, there. :oops:

~ Tom

Not much of an upgrade for the new iBooks and new Mac Mini. I thought we would get the widescreen iBook models that have been rumored and better video chips for both models. Looks like these are the last updates before the spring Intel models come out. If they do arrive early spring, then it's possible that Apple will run this update until then. It's been 9 months since the iBook got updated, so another 9 months would take us to April 2006.

I've heard that the 1.4 Ghz isnt that much of a performance increase because the hard drive isnt a 7200 rpm . . .its 5400 or sumtin like that. I would think that would offset the cpu's performance increase due to the slower hard drive.

I dont know if what ive said is true though . . .

I own the 1.42, and the only complaint I have is the stock 256mb of ram. It's good that Apple has upgraded the new models to 512mb. I'm only going to open this puppy up once, so I'm looking at a 1G module.

I think the new iBooks are a pretty nice upgrade. You can take $100 off the 14-inch model if you downgrade the SuperDrive to a ComboDrive.