ramtha

Zooming mighty mouse

As with so many tips and tricks to some this might be old news and to others a real golden find - but I was impressed as hell when I found this one.

I only recently upgraded from a PPC Mac Mini to an Intel iMac. On the old machine I was using a generic Microsoft scroll wheel mouse but the iMac, of course, comes with a keyboard and a mighty mouse.

To zoom in on an area of the screen on the old machine I had to go into the Universal Access control panel and enable the Apple + Option + Minus and Plus keys combination. This is great for getting up close to, say, a YouTube video clip for example where you don't want to see the rest of surrounding border - only the video itself.

Warning: Our Windows using chums turn green a begin shaking violently when you show them this - but I digress...

My tip / trick is how you can do this quicker with the might mouse and, as with so many things Apple, it's almost too simple.

• Hold down CTRL

• Scroll the mighty mouse middle nipple scroller thingy

Hey presto - screen zooming on grand scale! Here's a compare and contrast video clip I knocked up in Final Cut...

Requires DivX

I love how you called it a "middle nipple scroller thingy"; that really made my day.

This can be achieved through any mouse (with a scroll of some kind) or trackpad, but it is very cool.

OK. It doesn't work in Tiger on PPC with a Microsoft Intellimouse - which is what my last set up was.

That system is now on my HD TV as a PVR in the living room and I've just tried it. Intellimouse is a very popular brand, so...

It needs to be turned on in System Preferences is all. What versions of the OS are you running? It's a relatively new feature.

It needs to be turned on in System Preferences is all. What versions of the OS are you running? It's a relatively new feature.

Both are up-to-date Tiger.

It used to work for me with my mocrosoft mouse, I remember it as a feature in the pref pane that you turn on, now I can't find it.