Maurice

Can Intel Macs boot from USB?

I read this on the SuperDuper site:

Note also that USB drives do not allow booting Power PC based Macintoshes under any version of Mac OS X
Does this mean Intel Macs can boot from USB? If so, has anyone tried to boot from a USB stick (a minimal installation of Tiger is less than 2 GByte)?

I read this on the SuperDuper site: Does this mean Intel Macs can boot from USB? If so, has anyone tried to boot from a USB stick (a minimal installation of Tiger is less than 2 GByte)?

No mac can boot via USB because USB is initiated to late in the booting process. You can only boot via firewire.

The simple answer is no. While this is not entirely true it's not nice. You will want to search around on Google for a few hours or perhaps OSXHints.com. It can be done but it's time consuming and certainly not pretty. I'd just give in and get a tiny FW external HDD or NetBoot depending on your situation.

Yes you can!! the intel mac is just a PC designed by Apple and can boot from USB. I've tried it before but it was hell slow using my 250gb external USB. you have to hold the 'alt' key during startup or select the external drive in the Startup Disk pref pane in System Preferences.

To speed the process up there are some hacks, but USB (even 2.0) is hellishly slow at any rate. The hack speeds things up a little, but it makes it harder to boot.

Ignore it and go FireWire for a much more stable, reliable, faster system.

To speed the process up there are some hacks, but USB (even 2.0) is hellishly slow at any rate. The hack speeds things up a little, but it makes it harder to boot.

I want to boot in flash, that's not feasable (cheaply) in FireWire unfortunately. Pity that the booting process is that slow in USB...

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail...067&Redir=1

Not cheap, but it's A. 4 GB, way more than enough for a install of Tiger with stuff like printer drivers, and B. Firewire.

That would be a complete, bootable, absolutely portable OS-on-a-stick. Too bad it's $200, whether that's actually around the going price for a regular 4 GB flash drive or not, I can't afford it.

you can still have an OS in your pocket, except with exponentially (and then some) more storage capacity if you just buy yourself a smartdisk firelite drive. it's not much bigger than a video iPod and it's the same price as that flash drive up there. sure, it takes a bit longer to start up and there's the possibility of it having mechanical errors, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper per gigabyte than the 4 GB stick up there.

It seems like there are 2 opinions here. Which is correct.

1. Booting an Intel Mac from a USB device requires hacking

2. An Intel Mac can boot from USB right out of the box simply by holding Option

??