Mark Sheppard

Alternatives to Filevault

Is there any software out there for the mac that would be a good alternative to Filevault? I'm thinking along the lines of TrueCrypt that the windows users have.

Is there any software out there for the mac that would be a good alternative to Filevault? I'm thinking along the lines of TrueCrypt that the windows users have.

You can use the Disk Utility to create an AES-128 encrypted disk image. This is the same technology as apple uses for FileVault, but allows you to use it for areas other then your home directory.

You can use the Disk Utility to create an AES-128 encrypted disk image. This is the same technology as apple uses for FileVault, but allows you to use it for areas other then your home directory.

that's still not what trucrypt does. Essentially, trucrypt creates a directory and fills it completely with just...noise. To anyone reading it without the password it looks like complete giberish. it also has the added advantage of being able to actually make hidden partitions INSIDE those directories and encrypt only that specific part of the directory. Anything outside the hidden, encrypted partition is readable by anyone with the password for the whole directory (the hidden partition needs an additional password). if you want more info on what the original poster is looking for, listen to the Security Now! episode titled "TruCrypt".

To answer the question, I think an encrypted sparseimage may be as close as you can get, but to its credit, the creators of TruCrypt are planning a Mac OS X version in the near future.

Yes, I was already aware of the disk image procedure for doing that. I was just curious if there was third party software for this, that works a little smoother. BTW, what is the difference between a disk image and a sparse disk image?

that's still not what trucrypt does. Essentially, trucrypt creates a directory and fills it completely with just...noise. To anyone reading it without the password it looks like complete giberish. it also has the added advantage of being able to actually make hidden partitions INSIDE those directories and encrypt only that specific part of the directory. Anything outside the hidden, encrypted partition is readable by anyone with the password for the whole directory (the hidden partition needs an additional password). if you want more info on what the original poster is looking for, listen to the Security Now! episode titled "TruCrypt".

To answer the question, I think an encrypted sparseimage may be as close as you can get, but to its credit, the creators of TruCrypt are planning a Mac OS X version in the near future.

Yes, I was already aware of the disk image procedure for doing that. I was just curious if there was third party software for this, that works a little smoother. BTW, what is the difference between a disk image and a sparse disk image?

Standard disk images are fixed size, that is that you set the size of the image, and it will consume the full size of the volume on your hard disk. With a sparse image it creates an image with a maximum size, but it grows the image as you add files to it.