• 10-15 sec.
    • 16-20 sec.
    • 21-25 sec.
    • 26-30 sec.
    • 31-35 sec.
    • 36-40 sec.
    • 41-45
    • 45+ sec.
    • i'm a windows user that takes 1-5 min.

It takes the developers w/ the macIntels 10 sec. to go from the Apple icon to the desktop icon(s).

I take about 23 seconds w/ 256 mb ram and a G5 Processor @ 1.8 GHz iMac.

Well, due to my circumstances, I counted from Apple Logo to User Login Screen, which is probably a little faster than to Desktop, but oh well. And, due to some more circumstances, I counted in my head... I don't have a timer....

but on my iBook, 768 Ram and G4 at 1.07 Ghz, I counted 25 seconds.

none of the above. I'm a windows user that takes 5-8 seconds to be completely logged on, not including the time it takes to type my password.

ah, the beauty of an Intel Pentium 4 with HT Technology...

none of the above. I'm a windows user that takes 5-8 seconds to be completely logged on, not including the time it takes to type my password.

5-8 seconds from pressing the "on" button (cold start) to the useable desktop - How many processors did you say your machine has ?

I guess Windoze users probably boot/reboot more often than a Mac user. I rebooted my Powermac this evening for the first time in about 2 weeks, and that was for a security update released today, so I'm not really fussed about boot time to be honest. On the other hand.....

"Windows has detected a mouse movement - Please reboot your computer for this change to take effect"

:lol:

5-8 sec???? What about when you boot up? You know, the BIOS logo goes away (at least on Dell) and Windows XP fades in with the black background and the little process/loading bar.

wxp-startup-tn.gif

That's the Window's Equivalent of the Apple Icon. You see that, start counting.

Others:

w2kstartup2.gif

w95-startup.gif

windowsme.jpg

m1winntlogo.jpg

w y is windowsguy even on a mac geek forum, bashing mac geeks i mean come on.

I dont mind the winderz usrez who want macs really baddly but windowsguy hats mac (as far as i can tell form all o his posts ive seen) so dude f off

Does that include the time it takes to load you antivirus and antispyware apps?

It takes me 21 seconds to get to the icons from a cold boot from a 1.6Ghz G4 PB. Plus my home drive is AES128 encrypted, so I don't know how much that affects the speed.

I read in another forum some guy on XP reduced his boot time from 72 seconds to 32 by adding some software to clean up. Now 72 seems extreme, but many windows users are downloading extra stuff to get that performance not from the box.

Those that are interested in XP performance boot can look here:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/sgp-tweaks.ars

Interested on how your mac boots can visit here:

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_boot.html

I haven't read the mac article yet, but from a glance it looks quite interesting.

Does that include the time it takes to load you antivirus and antispyware apps?

Probably not. I find this highly unlikely.

Wow, did you inject your system with drugs or something, because at school, we have 3.2 GHZ dells with 1 GB of ram and they take 30 seconds brand new.

5-8 sec????  What about when you boot up?  You know, the BIOS logo goes away (at least on Dell) and Windows XP fades in with the black background and the little process/loading bar.

((IMGS OF THE WINDOSE START UP PICTURES))

Windoze pRon. Get it off, get it off. LOL

:o:o:lol:

20 seconds,faster than i thought.I put my mac to sleep most of the time so it starts pretty much instant :)

Never got my windows xp to sleep and wake all the time without some sort of crash or cock up.

Mine takes about 17 seconds to boot, but as pointed out above; that's what sleep (that actually works) is for. Waking Windows used to be like waking the dead. I can tell you that I managed to get my old "Beast" (Windows machine with specs previously posted) to load in under 13 seconds to the desktop, but that was a heavily de-baggaged OS install and a thoroughly clean system. I doubt you could beat that by much even now.

Oh, and with Norton as most WXP users have, 10 minutes is about a record.

From the looks of it here the 20 second boot time of the intel Macs does not seem impressive. I am not flaming intel (ohhh, don't want to go there again) but is Apple hyping up something that deserves no hype. BTW my iMac G5 20 inch boots in 15-17 seconds, My PowerBook boots in 17-25, and my iPod boots in 5 seconds. Maybe some of the intel Mac owners could post their boot time here.

Waking Windows used to be like waking the dead.

Used to be? It is! From Startup to desktop, I didn't count, but I could easily make a pot of coffee and have a cup ad be back in time to say "Please don't open" to several annoying apps I "need"

My old Dell from hell was so slow at booting up. It took a good 15 mins to start!