Sign in to follow this  
entropythief

One Library to rule them all

I have an old TiBook and a new iMac, and want them both to run off a single iTunes library or at least have their individual libraries synced so they operate cleanly together. The actual files reside on an external LaCie HD, so I copied over my library to the iMac, then pointed that copy of iTunes at the right folder on the LaCie and authorized the machine.

I say move the location of the iTunes library to that drive, and just drag in the entire library folder every time you use each computer so that you are up to date.

I know of this script: SyncOTunes.

And this app: Martian SlingShot

I haven't tried either myself, so if you use one and it works can you report back to us?

I've used Martian Slingshot and it simply doesn't work. I ended up dealing with Slingshot seeing files that weren't there and giving me inaccurate information, and not syncing all the files over because it thought the client library was larger than the server library... very frustrating? I even contacted Martian about this and they never got back to me. Way too glitchy. I resorted to copy and paste of the entire library, sharing the iTunes folder of the machine I initially add files to with all the other computers on my network, and then when I add a file, I open the newly added file in iTunes at all the other computers I wish to have this file. Clunky but it's consistent and it works and I can be confident that I really do have the files in both places since iTunes will play it automatically once it's successfully copied.

There's also the option of using screen sharing and file sharing on the "master" iMac to get the new files in the Library and then just using sharing for the other macs. We have an on G4 in the office that is connected to a "dump" share on one of the main servers that runs it's iTunes from another share that isn't directly accessible to the general users. I then have a script that fires off every 15 minutes that adds whatever is in the dump folder to the iTunes Library and then deletes the original file. Probably a bit overkill for your purposes, but it can be done.

There's also the option of using screen sharing and file sharing on the "master" iMac to get the new files in the Library and then just using sharing for the other macs. We have an on G4 in the office that is connected to a "dump" share on one of the main servers that runs it's iTunes from another share that isn't directly accessible to the general users. I then have a script that fires off every 15 minutes that adds whatever is in the dump folder to the iTunes Library and then deletes the original file. Probably a bit overkill for your purposes, but it can be done.

I think the idea here is to create multiple editable libraries... at least that was my goal. Unfortunately, sharing won't do that.

Am I missing something here? I read the OP's post as wanting to run several Macs off a single library. If that is the case, you just need to place the entire iTunes folder ( libraries, music, etc. ) on the external and then the first time you launch iTunes hold down the option key and select the iTunes library from the external. I do this for my iMac and MBP and it works fine. Any changes made on either computer are correctly saved to the external iTunes folder.

Am I missing something here? I read the OP's post as wanting to run several Macs off a single library. If that is the case, you just need to place the entire iTunes folder ( libraries, music, etc. ) on the external and then the first time you launch iTunes hold down the option key and select the iTunes library from the external. I do this for my iMac and MBP and it works fine. Any changes made on either computer are correctly saved to the external iTunes folder.

I am wondering if this will work for me. I currently have my files on an old iMac (PPC still running Tiger). This is the place where we currently sync all of our iphones and ipods. We also have a slightly newer mac mini (Intel) which we use as our media center in our living room. (We currently stream tunes/photos from the iMac.) In addition, we have a couple of macbooks, both are Intel-based. Our mini and macbooks are running leopard, and I have a family pack for snow leopard on the way. Our mac mini only has 80gb HD though, but we do have a 1T external.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to move my entire itunes library to my mac mini - to the external attached drive. It would probably be easier to just sync our iphones and ipods from the mini in the living room. I plan on updating my macbooks & mini to snow leopard before I made any switches, but I do have a few questions:

1) If I move my itunes library to the external drive attached to my mini, is this going to be a problem when I try to sync our iphones and ipods from this location?

2) Should I use the directions posted here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

3) Should I alternately somehow try to use the migration app, and how could you do that for just one application?

4) Is there a better way to do all of this.

I would also like to move all of my photos over, and I don't think I'll have a problem with this, as I can use the Option key to navigate to the new iphoto library on the mini. It would be nice to have everything together and then just share these items.

Thank you in advance for any advice or insight you may have on my dilemma. Does anyone else use their mini as a media "hub"?

As long as you move your entire iTunes Folder to the external, all your computers are using the same version of iTunes, and all your computers can see and navigate to the external drive you should be good to go. You just won't be able to sync your devices when not logged into your home network on the other computers.

As long as you move your entire iTunes Folder to the external, all your computers are using the same version of iTunes, and all your computers can see and navigate to the external drive you should be good to go. You just won't be able to sync your devices when not logged into your home network on the other computers.

Easiest solution: http://samsoff.es/post/how-to-sync-your-it...pbox-in-3-steps

Tried that DropBox service for free (2 GB) for a while, and I loved it so much, I decide to upgrade to their 50 GB plan.

Now I have both my Macbook Pro and MacPro sharing the same library – no more syncing nightmare. :-)

martzgfz

Same thing as I suggested only now you have access to your library anywhere you have internet .... Brilliant. But if you are like me and have an iTunes library in excess of 130 GB, buying a pocket drive and carrying it with you is probably a whole lot cheaper in the long run