Sign in to follow this  
ByTe-SiZe

From Dell to Apple

Hi everyone,

I am proud to say I am now a Mac user. I'm 18 years old, and although it took me long enough to switch... at least it happened while I'm still in school.

My first experience with Apple was back in elementary school using PM 5200 LCs. All I remember about it was playing this game called Dr. Quandry. Is that still around? I loved that game.

Anyway, our district switched to Windows when I reached Junior High. I had a couple Commordores when I was younger that could only type on a black screen (for what purpose I have no idea) and play Wheel of Fortune. My first "real" computer was an IBM Aptiva running Windows 95. It was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. And we had it for a while. When we got it some time in the mid 90s, it was "state of the art." That thing was the biggest piece of you know what imaginable. Every time I tried to play either video or sound, it would completely crash. And it crashed for millions of other reasons as well. It was not only just a bad computer, but it was actually stressful using the thing. I wanted so bad to smash it with a hammer.

Finally, in toward the end of my 9th grade, my parents bought a Dell Dimension Desktop. It was world's better than the Aptiva, but it still was lacking. I've had so many viruses and problems with spyware, you wouldn't even believe it.. and I'm a pretty cautious user (when I had to be). It handled multiple users quite poorly and would get painfully slow when more than one person was logged on. My desktop was so disorganized and it just wasn't what I wanted in a computer. When I first got it though, I loved it, but probably only in comparison to the God-awful Aptiva.

So, just this past June, I graduated from high school. My parents told me for my graduation gift they wanted to buy me a computer for when I go away to college this fall (I'm going to Millersville University and majoring in meteorology). They asked me to do some research so that I could make a wise decision. So, since I was used to Dell, I was at first going to get something from their Inspiron line of notebooks. But I thought to myself, "Maybe there's something else out there that I should consider."

One day, I was at the King of Prussia Mall (in case you're not familiar, it's this ENORMOUS mall in PA... it's very famous, at least in the area). I was walking around and passed by the Bose store. Next thing I saw was this huge apple... it was the Apple Store. I decided to take a look since I already owned a 20GB iPod and wanted to check out accessories (not even thinking about the computers). On my way out, I noticed the impressive design of the iMac. I went over to it to take a look. It was very different from the Apple I remembered using back in elementary school. It looked so...well, cool. I didn't really no how to use it though because the interface was so different from what I was used to.

After that, I started asking around about Macs. I knew a couple people who used them. When they were telling me about their computers, they sounded so excited. I didn't really understand why. I mean, all my friends have PCs and when we talk about computers, it's usually about how we got rid of our viruses and spyware and other troubleshooting issues. So that got me even more interested. I went onto Apple's website and read through the "Switch" section. I noticed on the site that the Apple store has workshops. So I looked up the King of Prussia store on the site and saw that there was to be a Getting Started workshop. That mall is about an hour away from me, so when I cleared my schedule I took a trip over there for this particular workshop. The employee who was running it was very good and he showed us all the great features of Tiger. After seeing Spotlight and Dashboard, I was sold.

So I wound up with a 14" iBook, combo drive (as you can tell, I got it just weeks before they updated the line... no big deal, the update wasn't THAT huge, and I really don't need a Superdrive). The only thing I upgraded was more RAM. I added 512mb for a total of 768mb. I'm currently running the latest version of Tiger, 10.4.2. I absolutely ADORE this computer... it is hands down, the best machine I've ever used. What I don't get is that my Dell has a 2.4 GHz processor. My iBook has a 1.33 GHz processor and it's significantly faster than the Dell. Oh well.. I'm not complaining!

I know one thing... I will NEVER go back to Windows. After I'm out of my dorm and get an apartment, maybe my 3rd year or so of school, I hope to have saved up for a new Intel-based Mac (hopefully an iMac if they're out by then).

BTW... I should probably mention that this was the reason I started listening to the MacCast and it has been INVALUABLE! I've been voting for it every day over at podcastawards.com.

Hi everyone,

I am proud to say I am now a Mac user. I'm 18 years old, and although it took me long enough to switch... at least it happened while I'm still in school.

Wow... that's a great story.

The same thing happened to me when I bought my 12" ... in like two or three days they came out with an updated line :)

What I don't get is that my Dell has a 2.4 GHz processor. My iBook has a 1.33 GHz processor and it's significantly faster than the Dell. Oh well.. I'm not complaining!

I don't know a lot about processors, but apparently the clock speeds for different processor models aren't directly comparable. There is a site out there that makes comparisons that I can't seem to find at the moment.

Anyways, a 1.33 G4 is something like a 1.8 Pentium 4 according to that site.

I'd bet your Dell is bottlenecked in some way... in my experience with PCs the manufacturer likes to trim the costs and some cheap part slows down the rest of it.

Welcome , to the mac cult. o and i would like to say i dont have a similar story, because iv NEVER owned a windows computer, my family's first was powermac 6100, now i have a bit better of a computer :D/ PS. dashboard gets everyone everytime :P:P