Sign in to follow this  
timpent

Remote control a Mac from an XP PC over the internet

timpent    1

Hi all

I thought I'd share this link to a video tutorial which worked a treat for me. It only uses open source programs (Putty on the PC and OSXvnc / Vine Server and SSH on the Mac) and is completely secure. The only slight difference between the video and my experience was that the VNC server, OSXvnc is now called Vine Server (Vine Server), and the program tabs are laid out a little differently.

Anyway, it works really well - I'm now plotting the best way to give my other half and kids a shock by controlling my iBook remotely - I'm thinking of playing some obscure sound effects over the Airtunes speakers :-) Perhaps strange animal sounds... Any other suggestions?!

Tim

ithonicfury    0

You could open the terminal on the iBook and use the say command or get CakeHole to mess with them (depending on how young your kids are, a robotic voice overheard talking to the TV about how their gonna wait for everyone to go to sleep and then take down their oppressive human masters and force them to do the entertaining, as well as praising the toaster overlord, could work.)

timpent    1
You could open the terminal on the iBook and use the say command or get CakeHole to mess with them (depending on how young your kids are, a robotic voice overheard talking to the TV about how their gonna wait for everyone to go to sleep and then take down their oppressive human masters and force them to do the entertaining, as well as praising the toaster overlord, could work.)

Sounds like fun, I'll investigate! Thanks

Tim

zwarbot    1

You should check out Hamachi software.

It is loads easier to setup than OSXVNC (Vine) & Putty SSH tunnels. It also has a client for Windows Linux & Mac. You can get the Mac client from HamachiX site.

It works so that when running the machines are connected as if they are on the same LAN. So all sorts of things work, iTunes Music sharing, VNC, SpyMe etc..

Hope this helps.

timpent    1
You should check out Hamachi software.

It is loads easier to setup than OSXVNC (Vine) & Putty SSH tunnels. It also has a client for Windows Linux & Mac. You can get the Mac client from HamachiX site.

It works so that when running the machines are connected as if they are on the same LAN. So all sorts of things work, iTunes Music sharing, VNC, SpyMe etc..

Hope this helps.

I'll check it out, thanks.

stormblade    0

I would echo the vote for Hamachi.

I have used it for almost a year now and it works great. The only problem I have with it is;at work I am behind a really restrictive firewall so I cannot use it there.

Chicken of the VNC is also a good tool for remotely controlling Macs and PC's. Using Hamachi and COTVNC has made maintining my systems a breeze when I am on the road.

The best part of it is, on any Mac running 10.3 or later, you can remotely control them by simply clicking one button and adding a password (try that on a PC!).

Stormy

dytis    0

Recently, I've tried to get HamachiX to install on my G4 Powerbook. However, when I try to add the system services, I find the below error. Anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Image-7DC0243B937811DB.jpg