s03bf0c0

Spelling

This might be a well known feature, but I just found it. In main.app, and I assume most other Cocoa applications you can press escape when typing a word and you will be given a list of possible completion options. Very handy if you are a poor/lazy speller such as myself.

Did I not mention my poor spelling... I did of course mean mail.app. Pity it doesn't work in Firefox, or Safari for that matter.

Safari also has a spell checker, when you're in an input capable field go to the Edit menu and select the spelling option. The "Spelling" option is also available in other Mac apps.

The option "check spelling as you type" is very useful.

Hi!!

I like using Safari's keyboard shortcut for spellcheck - command colon.

I do wish FireFox had one , if they do , I can't locate it..

Edited by jbrew

Firefox 2.0 has it. Very helpful!

I found the problem, I have Firefox/1.5.0.9. . I ask for the latest updates , a message appears saying that I'm up2date. That's a problem.

Would you suggest runnin app zapper on current version , then download and re-install from somewhere?

thanx

Update - I got it !!! thanx and it is great!!

Edited by jbrew

If I could use this opportunity to add a plug for my favourite browser - Camino. Although he current stable release (1.0.3) doesn't have support for inline spelling, the current 1.1 alpha does (it uses your OSX dictionary). You can download the nightly build by clicking on the development tab from the main page (or click here.)

I should say that as it's an alpha there are no guarantees of stability, but I've been using successive builds as my main browser for a couple of months, and I've had no problems so far. If anything I've just been enjoying the extra feature goodness, including the spelling.

Yours,

W.

PS. Sorry if this seems too partisan, with the links and all that.

Edited by Walafrid

If I could use this opportunity to add a plug for my favourite browser - Camino. Although he current stable release (1.0.3) doesn't have support for inline spelling, the current 1.1 alpha does (it uses your OSX dictionary). You can download the nightly build by clicking on the development tab from the main page (or click here.)

I should say that as it's an alpha there are no guarantees of stability, but I've been using successive builds as my main browser for a couple of months, and I've had no problems so far. If anything I've just been enjoying the extra feature goodness, including the spelling.

Yours,

W.

PS. Sorry if this seems too partisan, with the links and all that.

Camio's been around for quite awhile , they may of been here before i-cab, unless I'm confusing it with another, but I don't think so .. I wonder why it's not more popular - can't they keep up? idn , I may try it someday if I have probs. So far Firefox and Safari do what I need a browser to do ..

Thanx for the info :)

Edited by jbrew

I found the problem, I have Firefox/1.5.0.9. . I ask for the latest updates , a message appears saying that I'm up2date. That's a problem.

Would you suggest runnin app zapper on current version , then download and re-install from somewhere?

thanx

Update - I got it !!! thanx and it is great!!

No need to use AppZapper. Just download the 2.0 and install it/drag it to applications. Then you'll still have all your settings etc.

Camio's been around for quite awhile , they may of been here before i-cab, unless I'm confusing it with another, but I don't think so .. I wonder why it's not more popular - can't they keep up? idn , I may try it someday if I have probs. So far Firefox and Safari do what I need a browser to do ..

Thanx for the info :)

Yes, I know what you mean. I think to a certain extent they depend on the work of the Firefox team before it can be implemented in Camino. I just like it because it feels a bit more mac-friendly than Firefox, which for me has a hint of Windows about it (I'm sure people would disagree), and compared with Safari it seems a bit zippier.

Yes, I know what you mean. I think to a certain extent they depend on the work of the Firefox team before it can be implemented in Camino. I just like it because it feels a bit more mac-friendly than Firefox, which for me has a hint of Windows about it (I'm sure people would disagree), and compared with Safari it seems a bit zippier.

I LOVE Camino. I have been using nightly builds since march when I got my macbook pro. The only thing I wish is that they would update to the firefox 2.0 code as a base. Still it's a great browser for OSX.

No need to use AppZapper. Just download the 2.0 and install it/drag it to applications. Then you'll still have all your settings etc.

That's what I did and received the spellchecker as you said - Firefox and Shapeshifter's "shinobi" framework didn't get along , but BBX Merc's fine with it.

Text went to inviso mode the first go around lol.. Got it working fine now as long as I don't F with the structure to much..

Thanx for the HowTo.. :)

Edited by jbrew