Sign in to follow this  
Gwoss

How togain performance for final cut pro & motion on a powerbook G4

Hi there!

I need to work with Final Cut Pro and Motion 2 on my powerbook G 4 (2 GB RAM) and therefore want to throw off stuff I don´t really need to cranc up the performance of the powerbook and also free up more space. I have a 60 GB harddrive and currently only 10 GB of space left - not much if you are working with video.

I usually work with video on an intel mac pro 2.6 intel core duo, so I have great speed there. But before those computers people have been editing video etc. with Final Cut and Motion on powerbooks for years. At the moment my powerbook seems pretty maxed out especially when I render video and work with Motion.

So what advice can anyone give me on what to throw off the powerbook (what applications should never be removed?) and how to free up more disc space on the powerbook? How can I improve it´s performance? Maybe there is something very simple to do I just don´t think of...

Thank you!

I'd say move everything you don't need 24/7 on to an external drive. ie. just have around 5GB of music on the laptop, and change it out every so often. And of course use the external for all the video stuff as well, as soon as you're done with it.

I'd say move everything you don't need 24/7 on to an external drive. ie. just have around 5GB of music on the laptop, and change it out every so often. And of course use the external for all the video stuff as well, as soon as you're done with it.

Thank you...I´ll get right to that!

Do you have any experience on working with final cut pro & motion on a powerbook? Since I am now used to the speed of a mac pro I sometimes wonder if it is worth the hassle at all...or maybe sell the old pb, invest big money again and get a mac book pro...well do you have any experience with it?