Sign in to follow this  
Cameraman

Organizing .dmg files?

Looking for a tip...I'm collecting quite a few .dmg files that currently live on my desktop. These include GoogleEarth, Firefox and Missing Sync. I'd rather not have them on the desktop. Is there a better place? Thanks!

Either archive them to a CD or DVD, or trash 'em. You do realize you don't need them after the applications have been installed, don't you?

Either archive them to a CD or DVD, or trash 'em. You do realize you don't need them after the applications have been installed, don't you?

I wasn't sure. Do they just contain the installation files? I guess I'll trash 'em. Thanks!

Well, I guess I trashed them too soon. Now I click on GoogleEarch or Firefox in the dock and I get a question mark and nothing happens. Oops.

On my MacBook, I created a folder called "Download" (or you can call it anything you want) under the Documents folder. I also created two more subfolders: "Free Software" and "Purchased Software". After this arrangement, I can move my files there and classify them. Often, I burn a CD or DVD containing the "Purchased Software" folder. That way, I will have a record of my essential software.

By the way, I also put in the Purchased Software folder the license codes for my software. That should eliminate the need to run around looking for them later on.

@Cameraman: You didn't delete them too quickly, what you did was create a link to the applications contained within them. What you should do is as follows:

1. Download the *.dmg file

2. Mount the *.dmg file by double clicking it

3. Double click the installer if it says installer, if not then drag the file to your Applications folder

4. Close the window, unmount the file by dragging it to the trash and delete the *.dmg file

5. Drag the application from the Applications folder to the dock

6. Click the dock icon to launch the application

@Cameraman: You didn't delete them too quickly, what you did was create a link to the applications contained within them. What you should do is as follows:

1. Download the *.dmg file

2. Mount the *.dmg file by double clicking it

3. Double click the installer if it says installer, if not then drag the file to your Applications folder

4. Close the window, unmount the file by dragging it to the trash and delete the *.dmg file

5. Drag the application from the Applications folder to the dock

6. Click the dock icon to launch the application

Thanks Matt. I actually was able to figure that out shortly after I trashed the files. I had never dragged the icon into the Apps folder before...I don't think. Anyway, all is well now and I now know that I don't really need to keep the .dmg files.

Thanks!!

What always works for me:

- If I download software (I'm a freeware/shareware-fan) I always keep the .dmg-files on a separate folder on my harddisk (or the latest 2 versions anyway)

- I regularly take a backup of the complete harddisk (Diskduper rulez)

Like this, if you want to do a clean install, let's say, for example, for installing Leopard, you always have an external disk with the dmg-files on it.

Other suggestion: keep them on your disk temporarily & sync using Silverkeeper (free) for "adding" them to your external storage device.

For some reason, I have a "DMGs" folder on an external hard drive. However, I think you were asking if you needed them open to use the applications. The answer is no. Think of them as floppy disks, or other disks of that sort. You put them in the drive, and you can run files, including applications off them. You want to take the application off of the disk and put it on your computer if you want to have it permanantly, and if you want, you can file that disk away (as in, put the DMG file in a folder) or toss it out (delete the file), either way, you don't need the files to run the applications after you have copied them, just as you wouldn't need a physical disk after taking stuff off of it.