Sign in to follow this  
The Dead Herring

Quality Control, non existent

As I sit here on my third MacBook, this time a pro version, blocking out the whine and the abnormally noisy hard drive, and grimacing at my appallingly badly constructed hinge that squeeks, creaks, and clicks into position whenever it's moved, I think of how many others that have got through even more computers that I have. Some even possibly have given up, and left for other hardware that they can trust not to be consistently defective.

Has anybody else noticed this significant lack of quality control amongst apple products recently? If Apple want to gain a higher market share, they need to get the basics right, after my bad experience, I would long for a laptop that could be guaranteed not to be defective, and would probably pay premium for it, but when paying £1400 for a computer, one cannot be blamed for having certain expectations of quality control. That was in fact the reason I got a mac book pro instead of a MacBook, after having two faulty MacBooks, and the two reviews of Mac Book Pro's in this forum stating no such issues, I forked out my years wages (I'm 15) on this laptop in the hope that it would not be defective, but naturally I was wrong.

I don't like to blame luck for this, because I believe in probability, and nobody telling me "that they all do it" will sway me, I know they don't all do it, but even if they do, they would still be defective.

Apple need to get their bloody act together and make the hardware just as good as the OS it is running.....

Discuss.

P.S: It is a few months later, the mac book pro John Lewis got in especially whined even worse than the first one. Also, my mum got a macbook core2 which whines along with its replacement.

Edited by The Dead Herring

Having followed your story through, and working as a workshop manager for an Apple Authorized Service Provider, I can honestly say this is the only such case I have heard of. There are of course bugs with all machines, there are known bugs out there with Apple hardware at both a user and a service level, but nothing worse than any other hardware manufacturer. We see thousands of Macs a year, mostly laptops and run-up just as many new machines also; so this is from proven experience.

Yes some things bug some people more than others, some aren't even faults to me (and I have ridiculously high standards as a technician) while others seem ludicrous, yet through all this I haven't seen a case like yours. I can't attribute it to anything you would understand or consider it seems and I'm not sure I could attribute your case to anything in words anyway. All I am left with is to say that in my experience, over all this time, with all these machines, customers, issues, and fixes your story seems to be one of a kind.

But there are others with cases such as mine, simply head over to the apple support forums, or the macintouch page about issues with all the mac computers. I think I saw this one person who was up to his 6th Mac Book Pro, which still has issues. Matthew Torbin from this forum had to have his logic replaced in his Macbook I think about four times before it was working properly.

I don't know what to do about it, I see myself never getting to the computer that isn't faulty, and each time I get home with a replacement only to be the victim of bad quality hardware it will get increasingly painful.

Edited by The Dead Herring

i agree. i got this MBP as a present (i'm 14) and it came with an exploding battery and runs hot like crazy. the battery problem wasn't entirely apple's fault, but they could have chosen a better supplier. as for the overheating, apple software development team could have edited the code for the AppleBlower.kext and AppleFan.kext so the kernel extensions would tell the fans to kick in when the temperature was about to increase/cpu usage was high.

Come on Apple...last year when I switched my Mac mini came with no bugs or problems!! Why do the Macintels have a bunch of problems? I thought you made HIGH QUALITY and RELIABLE computers!!

Regardless of what you find online (especially when you consider that people with similar peeves join forces online to make a very weak voice seem like a belter) I can tell you from experience that it's not always the case. I haven't had a single Mac that was as bad as any of the above mentioned, but I have seen problem Macs.

Real life experience says that while Apple may not be upfront about it, they do end up providing good customer service, along with great and stable products. Perhaps you are going to the wrong technicians when you get repairs and while I can't account for the number of machine some of these people go through it seems odd to me that this minority have the exact opposite experience of the vast majority.

I hope you have better "luck" in the future and that will one day again appreciate the superiority of Apple Macintosh products. Until then, make sure it's Apple that hears you so you may have your issue resolved and not just other people who hold grudges of their own. Best of luck.

PS. If you continue to have issues and would like me to take a look at it (and this isn't a plug, it's a friend offering help in the only way he can right now) then please don't hesitate to PM me and arrange to have it sent to my workplace, I would be happy to help.

I would have to agree with Matt on this one. Being that the Mac community is relatively small, only magnifies the perception that so many Mac laptops have all of these problems. I am not denying that there are some problems with numerous Mac laptops, but the perception tends to be that the vast majority of recently produced laptops suffer from one or more of these issues.

This is simply not true.

I do have a friend that had the RSS problem (Random Shutdown Syndrome) with her new MacBook. Apple eventually acknowledged and identified the problem. Now she's a happy camper again.

Going from PowerPC architecture to Intel was a very large step for Apple and it's amazing how well those machines worked right out of the gate. If, for example, Apple had went from AMD processors to Intel, the change would not have been nearly as much of a leap.

This statement does not explain the "cosmetic" problems, but referring back to my statement at the beginning of this post, the "small" community makes these problems seem huge and widespread. Remember, you always see more posts on the negative side of an issue than you do on the positive side. If you're not having any problems, you don't post, and the ones that do are a rarity.

thanks for your responses guys, John Lewis are getting a new one in, but unfortunately it will not be ready for about two weeks, and I doubt that this replacement will not suffer from these problems too.

Matthew Torbin from this forum had to have his logic replaced in his Macbook I think about four times before it was working properly.

Sorry to respond so late but I just now found this post. Yes, my MacBook was replaced three times, the third being a full replacement and not a just a "repair". Since that time I have had no problems with the MacBook. Everytime I took it in the geniuses were very kind and worked diligently to help me. After it's all said and done, I have truely learned my lesson about buying 1st gen apple products.

- MT

Just to let you know, my mum bought a core2 macbook, and you guessed it, it whines. So does it's replacement, this is becoming increasingly ridiculous. This brings the grand total up to six, two macbook core duos, two mac book pros, and two macbook core2s.

This whole thing is making me seriously consider switching.

I've used both my Croe 2 Duo MacBook Pro and Core 2 Duo MacBooks at uni and I've not seen any of the issues that you've been describing...

Sorry to hear about your experiences. In my case -- now on my tenth Mac -- I've mostly been quite pleased with Apple's fit and finish. The one gripe I had was with a Rev 1 Titanium PowerBook and some chincy plastic clasps that held RAM in place. They were prone to breaking. Other than that it's been largely a lovefest -- iPods and other perfs including monitors included.

Edited by mobilexile