Sign in to follow this  
Punk Mac Geek

Vista beta screen shots, does anybody really care?

I'm not impressed. It's pretty, but is it FUNCTIONAL? I want something impressive under the hood, I don't need a pretty paintjob.

idont think it looks any diffrent from XP

Pure eye candy. You could buy object dock and stuff for 20 bucks and do similiar things.

yeah yeah yeah, its slightly different. i'm glad they made the huge change by moving the information about the selected document from the left side down to the bottom. thats really worth a whole new version. like you guys already said, we don't know how it feels, or how it runs under the hood.

Well, as a recent switcher, I think it definitely looks better than XP... but Leopard is going to kick Vista's arse! I'll bet it [Vista] really won't be any more stable, but time will tell... those pictures don't tell the whole story.

Funny thing now were making fun of windows for looking so neat and clean and pretty, when thats what they used to make fun of us for lol karma

Funny thing now were making fun of windows for looking so neat and clean and pretty, when thats what they used to make fun of us for lol karma

So not only are they behind in the OS buisness, but in the Insult business as well? Hey, I still say that's a good thing.

I think appearance is important, and I do like some of the "Vista" screenshots. But even when it seems like things are looking nice, some Windows 95 icon or graphic will appear and mess up the whole thing.

And it will still have the little quirks that Windows tends to have, graphics aren't always smooth and window drawing is sketchy.

I always felt that all the Mac OS's always found ways to improve the look of the folders, and all of the Windows folders always looked simply miserable. What's the story with these fancy yet unsettling sideways folders looking like they are holding your files in a cartoon like suspended animation just before falling to their death?

-Stephen

Do you just looked that the screen shot? have you read any features at all?

I for one looking forward to test the beta. It's not like corporate America is switching to Mac with OS X over night. We IT guys still have to deal with day to day troubleshooting Windows issues. So they say Vista is more secure the before, let's how long someone breaks it.

BTW, I really don't care if it's got a prety GUI right now. A command prompt is just as functional for me.

If you really want it you can get it as a bittorrent. Just read that on digg

Oh man do you think they copied Spotlight?! Look at the Start Menu!! There's a little search box at the bottom and if you search it gives you the results in the menu itself!!! Why does Microsoft even exist??!!!

They totally copied Spotlight. We've known that for a while now....

okay, well, thats not really true. Supposedly, the search dealy was their idea, and Apple copied Microsoft. (well, thats what I've heard anyways) But I think since we were the first to impliment it, and arent a bunch of slackers, we get credit. Sound good? Good.

Windows is so last year and Microsoft is so behind and trying to catch up.

They've had the WinFS idea for a long time now. Apparently WinFS would be the file system that would make a Spotlight-type search possible in Windows. However the idea for Spotlight has been around a long time too, something like four or five years. I'm not sure which came first.

The funny thing is, last I heard WinFS has been pulled from Longhorn, er, Vista, and will be released after the fact as an update. So it won't even be part of the Vista launch.

Adamf is right.

the Spotlight on the Mac isn't the first. There are search programs for windows long time before Mac. In fact, XP has seach function build in just not as fast and extensive say... Google Desktop Search.

Adamf is right.

the Spotlight on the Mac isn't the first. There are search programs for windows long time before Mac. In fact, XP has seach function build in just not as fast and extensive say... Google Desktop Search.

Yeah, but I think the idea is in the way that the search is done. Spotlight and this WinFP both use the metadata to search very quickly. I am almost positive that Google Desktop Search doesn't do it in that manner at all. I mean, Google Deskop Search is just like doing a Find in the Finder before Tiger. The idea is the technology, not the search function.

Wow. Those are hott. :lol:

Hmm,

Lots of things seem copied/borrowed and blatently stolen from OSX.

Virtual Folders - Yeah that's Smart Folders.

Search Results - A very Spotlight wannabe in appearance. Just not as functional.

And the eye candy just sux. I mean really, what is the point of having the borders to windows transparent? Doesn't exactly do much for you really.

Vista is sh!t and will never be any good. And don't even get me started on IE7.

Not only that but if you look at the Windows Explorer search bar, the little magnifying glass on the end of the bar is exactly the same thing as the Finder one except flipped!!!

I don't even think it looks that good, I mean it's better than xp. you can probably change the style though. I like how they've moved a few bits around (I think that's all they've done :) ) It might be more stable for a little while, but after a bit it will just be like xp and full of even more viruses.