joshr

Norton Antivirus and Firewall

A friend at work told me she has the Norton antivirus and firewall installed on her Panther G5 tower. I told her to uninstall it. There aren't any mac viruses and OSX has a built in firewall. What I wanted though was 2 things. 1) a step by step for how to remove the Norton junk 2)a good list of compelling reasons why she doesn't want that stuff on her computer. I just knew you didn't want it and I had reasons I wouldn't want it but I didn't have good reasons why you should actually remove once you have already been suckered into buying it.

Edited by joshr

A friend at work told me she has the Norton antivirus and firewall installed on her Panther G5 tower. I told he to uninstall it. There aren't any mac viruses and OSX has a built in firewall. What I wanted though was 2 things. 1) a step by step for how to remove the Norton junk

1) Backup data

2) Format drive

3) Reinstall

Seriously, Norton sucks. Try their uninstaller but don't be surprised if ti doesn't work.

2)a good list of compelling reasons why she doesn't want that stuff on her computer. I just knew you didn't want it and I had reasons I wouldn't want it but I didn't have good reasons why you should actually remove once you have already been suckered into buying it.

1) Actually, she may want the virus software if she exchanges files with other people because of Word viruses and such.

2) The built in firewall is pretty good, but a hardware firewall is always better.

--James

1) Backup data

2) Format drive

3) Reinstall

Seriously, Norton sucks. Try their uninstaller but don't be surprised if ti doesn't work.

1) Actually, she may want the virus software if she exchanges files with other people because of Word viruses and such.

2) The built in firewall is pretty good, but a hardware firewall is always better.

--James

So based on this Norton is good as long as you don't feel like uninstalling it. Sounds a little ridiculous to me.

Why not just do a search for norton from the Finder search, drag all the files to the trash and click secure empty trash?

Why not just do a search for norton from the Finder search, drag all the files to the trash and click secure empty trash?

That would probably work to get rid of it. Although I think it's harder than that because norton protects files so that a virus couldn't just delete files. Maybe not though. Still what about some good reason why Norton is bad to have on the computer. I mean other that it being completely unnecessary.

HOw To uninstall norton:

Format Drive. Be careful what you back up, because you wil probably end up copying some norton files over.

Norton never completely uninstalls on windows, so if it is the same on a mac, you wil have bits left.

Norton chews into CPU time and memory. It slows bootups. It has a relatively large footprint on the harddrive as compared to other virus-scanners. If she wants the most from her Mac she is better off with fewer programs running in the background.

Will those reasons help <g>?

I presume she is not running windows and this is just for the OSX.

Why is she running Panther? Tiger is faster and has some nice features <g>. The money she puts into Norton could go to a Tiger upgrade.

Edited by karinlord

formatting the hdd is a little "windows" mentality, even though I agree that norton does bore quite a radioactive hole in the OS.

I use appzapper before taking drastic steps. http://www.appzapper.com/

**edit** - appzapper requires tiger.

Edited by jasonium

She uses panther because she doesn't see any particular reason to upgrade. I told her just to wait for leopard. Doesn't make sense to have used Panther for all of this time then upgrade it just a little before the next version. I guess the reasons karinlord mentioned are the reasons but I don't how I will convince someone to actually take it off if it's there and those things are not bothering them. If I had known her before I would have told her not to buy it and as it is she said she won't bother renewing the subscription but till then I don't see a particularly compelling reason to bother helping her getting it uninstalled. She is your average computer user, like many older designers, that just use their computer without really knowing anything about how it works or why. Best to leave her alone unless there is a particular reason to do something.