ramtha

Zudeo Beta

Azureus has been a cross platform client for bit torrent files for a while, but recently they launched Zudeo, a platform the company has already attracted several impressive high profile companies to for distributing high definition video content through.

With the addition to that line up of the BBC, who plan on making programs previously only available in the UK to the US and Canada, I thought it was a good time for this Brit to give a quick overview of it for the MacCast.

The client is broken up into three main sections with an additional 'My Library' page, which redundantly echoes the panel which shows the same current downloads and completed downloads of the 'Home' pane.

Browse content and pending downloads.

ZZ0282C419.jpg

The main new content and search section.

Picture%202.jpg

Upload and publish.

ZZ6278CD3B.jpg

Because all of the content is legal there is a fast a reliable connection to anything you want to view. Although the current selection is limited the coming of the BBC to the party should boost the profile of the platform considerably once shows like Little Britain, Dr. Who and Planet Earth, which have previously only been available illegally, come on line early 2007.

If you register an account you can share any file or folder from your hard drive with a very simply interface, which allows you to add tags, description and thumbnail previews. This is perhaps the easiest torrent sharing creation client I've seen so far and certainly something I can imagine using a lot more.

Sub-sections of the main search page include fan films, trailers, music videos, film school and animation.

ZZ624210A6.jpg

Fan films can be a hit and miss affair - often more impressive for their sheer effort than actual story and acting, but there seems to be an impressive selection of the usual suspects - including the intriguing Kid Wars, which is downloading as I write - stay tuned!

All in all this seems like one of those programs you'll open now and then to see what's new and then not bother again for a few weeks. If you're an avid bit torrent downloader the client seems robust enough and the eye candy, very Mac-like styling is reminiscent of Apple's pro level apps, with it's misty gray and black interface and info rollovers.

Playback of the HD content is of course down to your Mac's speed, which is especially important as many of the clips seem to be wrapped in a Windows Media Video caliper, so you're looking at using VLC for much of it - so be sure to get the latest version - but so long as you have the computer to handle HD content, all the clips I saw where 1080p and gleaming.

Looking forward to the full version.

Download Zudeo now for Mac and PC

I don't get this.

What is this about?

I mean there is Azureus version 2.5 and then there is zudeo which they call azureus 3.0 so my question why is azureus 2.0 still in development and was just updated to 2.5?!

I just don't get it.

Or is Zudeo or Azureus 3.0 what ever its called still in Beta?

On the website it looked like its a full release.

I find this really weird, why do they call zudeo azureus 3.0?

I would understand if they would launch an ew product called zudeo which has some extra features so that azureus is the foundation of zudeo.

Kind of how Firefox and Gecko are the foundation of camino.

So what happens when Azureus 2.5 is continued to be developed and Azureus 3.0 comes out do we then have 2 Azureus 3.0?

Or can anybody say if Zudeo is still in Beta and thats teh reason why the newest version of Azureus is stil azureus 2.5?

Thanks

Thorsten

Zudeo is an add on to Azureus

Well it kind of is, but its still weird, Zudeo or Azureus 3.o has been banned from my favourite bittorrent sites, as they don't like it and think it goes against teh GPL.

Well it kind of is, but its still weird, Zudeo or Azureus 3.o has been banned from my favourite bittorrent sites, as they don't like it and think it goes against teh GPL.

I think that's interesting actually, because I've noticed that despite it being quite a pretty app, I don't use it as a bit torrent SHARING client, only to download - so it kind of goes against the ethos of bit torrent as well.