patput

Spotlight

I really dislike Spotlight and want to turn it off. I've checked the preferences and don't see the option. Is there a way to do this?

Hmmm... Well, Spotlight is pretty unobtrusive. I don't really see any need for turning it off. As an alternative for Spotlight search, you may want to try QuickSilver. Totally free, Great for search, app launching, and a jillion other things.

You could go to the Spotlight preference pane and uncheck the shortcut keys, and then go to the privacy tab and add all your drives in there and it wont index anything anymore. Not sure if you can get rid of the spotlight icon though.

i remember this was on macosxhints.com or someting...you had to use the terminal and set permissions to root access only...

wouldn't recommend doing so because (A) spotlight is a system level service and (B ) you have to reconfigure the permissions again after you fix disk permissions

Edited by cherry su

A better approach to the one on the MacOSXHints site is detailed in this TUAW article (courtesy of MacFixIt):

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/13/tiger-tips-...ht-turn-it-off/

Although this might disable other system features such as the "Find" feature in Finder. So you might be better off just disabling Indexing on your system volume.

Hope this is what you were looking for.