seven n seven

Backup Question

I have backed up my music, videos, photos and important documents to an external harddrive but I was wondering if there is a native program on the Mac that will backup my iMac completely, including user data, preferences, etc.

It just seems like what I am doing is not a real backup but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

Carbon Copy Cloner is what I use. I'm backing up to a Western Digital MyBook with firewire, and CCC creates complete bootable iterative backups. I've never had a harddrive fail, but I do test the backup about once a month, and I've yet to find myself without a good copy.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

...I was wondering if there is a native program on the Mac that will backup my iMac completely, including user data, preferences, etc.

Thanks.

Time Machine in OS X 10.5

SuperDuper.

Extremely versatile. Can create a "bootable" backup. It will also update exisiting backups.

SuperDuper.

Extremely versatile. Can create a "bootable" backup. It will also update exisiting backups.

I agree SuperDuper is great backup system for Mac OS X

time machine would work... if lepoard has been released, HAS IT BEEN RELEASED? i don't think so. ;-|

No it hasn't but the Developer Preview is available on BitTorrent, if you don't mind breaking the EULA to use it. Personally I haven't bothered. I have a copy that I got through a colleague, and I installed it on my old powerbook, but stopeed using it.

I hate using the Developer pre-release software, I'd rather be amazed by the polished final product, then see it go from buggy to brilliant over time. Its like knowing how the magic trick works, it takes away from the show. Thats why I intend to wait until SP2 or SP3 before getting Vista for parallels.

Edited by s03bf0c0

There are two options that i will recommend, one is carbon copy cloner and the other is superduper, both can be found at versiontracker.com. I have used both of these to backup my laptop and desktop for sometime now. I started using Superduper then kinda switched to CCC just because it felt better but it really does not make a difference.

I'd agree, either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper are fine choices.

The only thing that swung it for me in favour of SuperDuper was the "Smart Update Backup" option which compares your backup disk with your Macintosh HD and then makes the two images the same. This takes a lot less time than the "erase, then copy" approach, but is only available in the registered (i.e. paid for) version.

Its also easier to backup over the network in Super Duper, in order to do the same thing in CCC you have to make a big enough image file on the network share, then mount that and then set the backup to it.