Mopar_Dan

OSX Maintainence Software?

Hi,

I am currently a wannbe future Mac owner. While I dont have the money to purchase one right now I have been

trying to study up on anything good to know about Macs. Having an well informed decision after all eliminates many

preconcieved notions that in the end turn up false. As I was had visited a few of the Apple Store's and Comp USA's in

my area. I had inquired about any programs that would be good to get to help maintain a smooth running system.

Various good tips on software arose and I wanted to turn to the Mac cast community to help answer these programs

usefullness. Im am not a person who hates the "daunting" task of maintaince and avidly believe that maintainance at

some level (automated/Manual labor) is required an any complex system. All I really ask for are some honest opinions

on these seemingly well put together tools, to help me make a better informed descision when I purchase my very first Mac.

The programs are as follows:

MACARONI

IDEFRAG

DISKWARRIOR

Those are ones that have been particularly mentioned to me on several occasions. Thanks in advance any responses.

Dan

PS. On a side note, Adam keep up the good work with Maccast. It has been very instrumental in helping to inform me with many

of the various things Apple and Mac's have to offer!

I personally use OnyX as my only OS X maintenance app. I run it every two months or so. Adam did a show a while back that covered this topic, I am going to see if I can find the notes for it.

EDIT: Found it> http://www.maccast.com/2005/11/25/maccast-11252005/

Thanks for the reply Mitch. I was'nt even aware of freeware utilitys available. Ive been noticing that there is actually alot more Mac applications available than I was aware of. Again Thanks.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Mitch. I was'nt even aware of freeware utilitys available. Ive been noticing that there is actually alot more Mac applications available than I was aware of. Again Thanks.

Dan

That is one of the things that still amazes me about the Mac community. There are so many great freeware and shareware apps that are available for the Mac, and most of them are really cool and of really high quality. There's an alternative or freeware app for just about anything you want to do on the Mac.

the only one on your list i can recommend is diskwarrior, and that s as an "emergency disk," not as an everyday utility.

Anything that defrags sounds scary. I dont recommend defragging. Period.

Mac OS X already has built in Maintainence scripts that run daily, weekly and monthly. Just by leaving your machine one over night or extended amounts of time will automatically run these scripts. I do recommend Onyx if you need it in a quick pinch but that's it. Also Mac OS X has built in defragging tools that run in the background. If the file is not busy and under 20 MBs OS X will defragment those files.

Maintenance scripts will run if the machine is on and awake long enough. Doing those through OnyX doesn't hurt. Stay away from clearing the caches with that though, I don't trust doing that while the system is fully running.

For caches, I do that with AppleJack. It runs from single user mode, so you just hold down Apple+S when you turn the machine on. It gives you a prompt, and you type applejack. Then, just follow the directions.

Permissions can be done with AppleJack, but you're just as well to do that from Disk Utility while the system is running. If you have a major issue, AppleJack can do it too.

Disk Warrior is highly recommended. In fact, run it right when you get the machine. Just by installing the operating system, you get about 30% of files out of order when DW graphs it.