houltmac

Broadband Anywhere

Hey all

I was watching an old episode of Diggnation where IBM/Lenovo sent Kevin the coolest non-Apple notebook computer in the world, the T-60 series I believe. One of the things that I am truly envious of is Kevins ability to add a card to get broadband access "anywhere on Earth". While this isn't something I really need, it's certainly something I may need in the future and want now. I can see two things getting in the way however:

1. The MacBook I have doesn't have any expansion ports and I really don't want to have big boxes plugged into crappy USB2.0 ports, or even in my FireWire 400 port. I may be changing my MacBook when Leopard comes out if there is something new in the Apple line-up which may mean I get expansion back in the future, but in the mean time I don't.

2. I haven't really looked into wireless "anywhere" broadband at all before, but am finding it hard to find anything on Google, especially in the UK.

if anyone has any insight into this topic then please please please let me know. I am dying to look into this further over the next week and any help I can get would be awesome.

Hey all

I was watching an old episode of Diggnation where IBM/Lenovo sent Kevin the coolest non-Apple notebook computer in the world, the T-60 series I believe. One of the things that I am truly envious of is Kevins ability to add a card to get broadband access "anywhere on Earth". While this isn't something I really need, it's certainly something I may need in the future and want now. I can see two things getting in the way however:

1. The MacBook I have doesn't have any expansion ports and I really don't want to have big boxes plugged into crappy USB2.0 ports, or even in my FireWire 400 port. I may be changing my MacBook when Leopard comes out if there is something new in the Apple line-up which may mean I get expansion back in the future, but in the mean time I don't.

2. I haven't really looked into wireless "anywhere" broadband at all before, but am finding it hard to find anything on Google, especially in the UK.

if anyone has any insight into this topic then please please please let me know. I am dying to look into this further over the next week and any help I can get would be awesome.

Hey I am not sure if it was you are looking for, but Vodafone NZ just released the Vodem, which is a broadband modem. They have Vodafone in the UK right? Maybe you have something similar.

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/vodem.jsp

Bebe

I was going to say, I saw a 3G card in the Vodafone store last time I was there. There's also that BT thing I saw advertised on TV the other night. I think that's just minutes to use at wireless hotspots though, as opposed to a truly mobile, use anywhere solution.

[edit] Here's a link to the vodafone page with their wireless solutions:

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Port...;pageID=BS_0034

Both of the solutions (the card and usb dongle) are mac compatible.

Edited by Graham