stevewhodrums

Cannot burn to DVD

I was going to surprise my wife with our first Hi-8 to DVD movie for Christmas, but encountered a problem where iDVD could not complete the multiplexing phase of burning the DVD (which appears to be one of the first things iDVD tries to do). After pouring through the Apple Support site and Discussions, I did the following:

1. Used iDVD and instead of burning to a DVD, created a local IMG
  2. Ran Disk Utility and tried to burn the IMG to a DVD. I received an error stating something like "...could not calibrate the laser power level...."
  3. Used Finder and tried to burn the IMG to DVD. Received a different error than above, but apparently related (as descirbed in the Apple Discussion forums.
  4. Called Apple Support, who eventually suggested I try another media brand (which I've not yet had a chance to try)

My iBook was purchased new in August of 05. I am trying Memorex 8x (1-8x) 4.2 GB DVDs. The size of my project is arount 3.4GB. This is my first effort at burning anything to DVD. I've successfully burned something to CD before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Update: Dec 25 - Tried a Philips DVD. Same result.

Update: Jan 08 - Tried a 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD. Same result.

Edited by stevewhodrums

I t is true that sometimes a certain media will just always cause problems. Try another media and let us know what happens.

Hmm, sounds like a weird thing. If you can burn CD's and read DVD's, then perhaps the Apple store rep is correct about the media. Memorex has always seemed a little shaky to me, I use TDK or Apple DVD's whenever possible, and all TDK CD's, so I'd recommend those.

Don't fret about Christmas! Worst case scenario, you could try a VCD, but the quality on those stinks...

Good luck!

I just tried a Philips, with the same result. I'll try a TDK.

Could ot calibrate the laser level...... that is a problem with the drive. You can try blowing off the laser lens,(canned air, or however you can generate directed air), but i think your drive electronics could be screwed up, so you would be, well, screwed.

Not that this will help any, but I've always used Philips DVDs with macs and never had any problems, so I'd say your best bet would be to get it in to apple for them to have look at.

Well, I say 'always', I've used them in 5 different macs of varying ages over the past 18 months. Not an expert or anything, just my experience. But I'd give it a go with an apple dvd, if they don't work then nothing will.

I just tried a 8x Taiyo Yuden with the same results (ie, did not work). I continue to get the device "could not calibrate the laser power level."

I'll take the iBook to Apple next week....

PROBLEM RESOLVED:

I brought my iBook to the Apple Store, and they shipped it to Texas for a new SuperDrive. I had it back in about five-days (shipped on Wednesday, back on Monday). Taken care of through AppleCare.

Seems to be working now.