jav1231

Imported profile slower on Intel Mac?

I just got a new Macbook Core2 Duo about 3 weeks ago. I've noticed on a couple of thing that the system will hang slightly and sometimes I get the "beachball" at times that don't seem to be particularly under load. I've noticed this in Garageband and in Wiretap Pro, both audio apps. My question is: Should I have started with a new profile and simply brought in my files and mail? I actually did the firewire import from my G4. I'm thinking I may have brought over some baggage that the Intel system isn't happy with. Anyone notice anything like this?

I've never had such a problem, it may simply be that some permissions need repairing. Try that and then restart the machine.

I noticed slowness when I first set up my MacPro. What I did was use the migration assistant and brought over everything. Some of the apps were slow loading after this. After talking with Apple they suggested that I set up the MacPro to the default state that it was in and then just migrate over my user directory. Then I did a fresh install of all my software and it has been much better after this.

I noticed slowness when I first set up my MacPro. What I did was use the migration assistant and brought over everything. Some of the apps were slow loading after this. After talking with Apple they suggested that I set up the MacPro to the default state that it was in and then just migrate over my user directory. Then I did a fresh install of all my software and it has been much better after this.

I migrated my user directory and loaded my apps after. But this, I believe, also brings over your pref files and stuff. I'm wondering if that's where the goo is that's slowing the apps down. I'm definitely seeing the system pause when in Garagband. Occassionally when trying to play something I'm working on I get a playback error. Something like "not all of this song could be played...". I stop the playback and start it again and it's fine. I haven't setup another profile but I think I will and see if the problem persists.

how much ram have you? and do you run apps in then background? I migrated from an imac with 2GB of ram recently to a MacBook with 1GB of ram and I had some noticeable slowdown

how much ram have you? and do you run apps in then background? I migrated from an imac with 2GB of ram recently to a MacBook with 1GB of ram and I had some noticeable slowdown

i have 2gb ram. Of course, I have integrated video too. I don't tend to run alot in background. Usually Adium, FFox, then whatever I'm working on.

I suggest running a utility called Onyx and clear out all the Cache files and other stuff.

You will naturally have slower performance in audio apps because there is no altivec or velocity engine. YOu probably did bring along some ppc baggage. I recommend looking at slower apps (which should be universal) and do a get info to make sure that they are universal. you will have to run an update to many programs because of this. Make sure that garageband and your other apps are universal.

Even when universal, garageband and audio apps will have problems on the intel processor because intel does not have a velocity engine or "altivec" on their processors