Sign in to follow this  
maschinsky

Mac Pro, Windows & Games

Hi!

On the last episode of the Maccast, the one with the interview with Veronica Belmont you talked about running PC games via bootcamp. I am currently addicted to World of Warcraft as Veronica seems to be (That makes her my girl!), which I obviously run under MacOSX. The only two differences between the Mac and PC version of WOW is the support for 5.1 sound on the PC and stereo-only on the mac and that you can map in-game keys to "remote" iTunes from within the game on Mac and not on windows. Everything else is exately the same. Thanks to Blizzard, where one of the CEO's seems to be a Mac-User.

One of the first things I tried, when I got my brandnew MacPro (Quad 2 Ghz) was to install bootcamp and windows to see wether I could play PC-games. (Gaming being the only thing you need a PC for in my opinion :-) ).

I was expecting mediocre Windows performance from a platform not specifically designed to run windows and was BLOWN AWAY! I tested four games on my machine.. I have the ATI 1900 graphics card and a two 24" (1920x1200) dell TFTs, which means games are running at an awesome resolution and radiate the feeling of cinema (on one monitor only)

Oblivion: All graphics setting bumped to maximum, superfluid gameplay @ 33-60 fps

Doom 3: All graphics settings max, 55-124 fps

Neverwinter Nights 2: All graphicsettings to max, 45-112 fps

The Guild 2: Al graphicsettings maxed: 23-78 fps

Remember all these fps are at a resolution of 1920x1080 (!)

conclusion: The MacPro running windows is the better PC^^

Wow, even the 360 doesn't run Oblivion that well, how much VRAM does your graphics card have?

Edited by The Dead Herring

The ATI X1900 XT that apple sells have 512 MB of RAM.

I love the fact that the MacPro is the best machine around, for gaming in Windows. And I agree with you on that games are the only reason to have Windows around. I should put boot camp and xp on my MBP so I can game some more. (Probably won't do it though. I kinda makes me a little sick)

Edited by Daniel Elessedil Kjeserud

Sign in to follow this