Sign in to follow this  
smc935

iPod mini - "Do Not Disconnect" problem

My wife has a pink iPod mini (4 gig) we bought in February and an iMac G4 700mhz. She doesn't use it all that often but it always works fine.

For some reason it stopped syncing correctly. If I plug it in to the computer (using Firewire) it shows the "Do Not Disconnect" icon and then does nothing. The computer doesn't even seem to recognize it is connected. I can leave it literally the entire night and the message doesn't go away. I'm forced to disconnect it. Eventually the mini stops showing the "Do Not Disconnect" warning and instead shows an icon of folder with an exclamation mark.

If I run the iPod updater it just doesn't recognize there is an iPod connected. I have another iPod 20 gig and it works just fine.

When the mini is showing the folder/exclamation icon I try resetting by holding Menu and Play at the same time for 10 seconds but it doesn't do anythat at all.

Also - if I plug her mini into my iBook it does the same thing - gets hung up with the "Do Not Disconnect" message and the iBook doesn't even recognize it exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

go to the itunes prefrences while your ipod is connected, select the ipod icon and uncheck "Enable Disk Mode".

go to the itunes prefrences while your ipod is connected, select the ipod icon and uncheck "Enable Disk Mode".

go to the itunes prefrences while your ipod is connected, select the ipod icon and uncheck "Enable Disk Mode". 8)

Soophaman, you're quite emphatic!

The problem is, (mine's similar - will charge, but won't mount), when one in this situation chooses the IPOD, under ITune preferences, the dialogue box is basically empty, so "Enable Disk Mode" doesn't show.

The Apple conference on mount-failure has disgruntled folk like me who can't update one of our pods since updating to iTunes 4.9.

the wondering coninues...

jo :shock:

I just saw in your original post that you did try a reset of the iPod. I was going to post that you might want to try that.

I had an issue where my Windows box (before getting my Mac) did not recognize the iPod. I just reset it and all started working again. Your situation appears to be a little worse, however, since the reset did not work.

1. Reset the iPod. Press and hold "Menu" and "Play" buttons.

2. as soon as ipod logo appears quickly hold down "fast forward" and "rewind"

3. it should say DISK MODE somewhere on the screen, if not try again

4. hook up to computer and run ipod updater and hit RESTORE

*note* that will erase your music! but its the only way :( make sure your music is on your computer, so u can re put it on later

this should work, if not post again and tell us it didnt

My friend's 4th Generation 20gb iPod has the same problem, it charges, but is totally unrecognised by his, or any computer.

The Folder / exclamation mark icon is a very bad sign. I means your ipod is pretty much dead if you keep getting it really. My advice is return it to apple, or the place where you got it, if it is still under warranty, to get it fixed or replaced.

It would not reset while the folder icon was showing. I was, however, able to find a few tricks on the Apple support web site. Pressing and holding the Menu and Select buttons reset it, then I quickly pressed the Select and Pause/Play buttons to put it into disk mode. My iBook immediately recognized it and let me reinstall the software.