Sign in to follow this  
kwsanders

Enhanced podcasts on the iPod

A while back, I started listening to a podcast on my iPod mini (6 gig). I was startled when I saw small lines pop up on the progress bar. They were all across the bar in what appeared to be random locations. At first, I thought the iPod was having problems.

When I played a different podcast, I did not see these bars. At this point, I thought it was probably just an issue with the podcast. The podcast did play properly all of the way thorugh, however.

After playing a few more enhanced podcasts, I have come to the conclusion that these little lines are the chapter locations in the enhanced podcast. Each time the person on the podcast seems to get to a new thought or idea (like a chapter) in the podcast, the progress bar has reached the next little line.

It looks weird, but it is kind of cool.

Yeah, I had noticed that too, but fortunately it was after I had learned what Enhanced Podcasts are, so it didn't scare me too much. If you had an iPod with the color screen, like what I have, you would notice that the album artwork changes with each chapter, according to what the enhanced podcast has set (you can also see this in iTunes). I think the enhanced podcasts are great, and I always listen to the eMacCast now, despite the delay in release.

One of the guys that I work with just got a new iPod color 20 gig. I am wanting to get one pretty bad right now. :)

Yeah, within the week of the most recent price drops, I sold my 20gb B&W screen and got the 20gb Color Screen. Since I have the student discount, it was only a $60 upgrade cost. Not too shabby...