KD

Can't Log In To My User Account!!

Hi everyone... I REALLY hope someone can tell me what to do. When I went to empty my trash on my macbook a few moments ago, it stopped emptying and so I tried to stop it by clicking the x. Well, my whole system froze and nothing was responding so I had no other option but to hold the power button down to turn the system off. I waited a few moments then rebooted. When I went to type in my password, a message popped up that said "You are unable to log into your account at this time" with no other options but to click ok. I typed in my password again and the same exact thing happened. I shut it down and waited 5 minutes. I rebooted and the OS booted once again and I typed in my password and I got the same message. I tried typing in the wrong password to see if the same message would come up and the login box did it's normal shake to indicate a wrong password so I know it's recognizing my password, it just keeps telling me I am unable to log in. Has anyone EVER heard of this and if so, what should I do??? I can't get it to do anything!!!

Hi everyone... I REALLY hope someone can tell me what to do. When I went to empty my trash on my macbook a few moments ago, it stopped emptying and so I tried to stop it by clicking the x. Well, my whole system froze and nothing was responding so I had no other option but to hold the power button down to turn the system off. I waited a few moments then rebooted. When I went to type in my password, a message popped up that said "You are unable to log into your account at this time" with no other options but to click ok. I typed in my password again and the same exact thing happened. I shut it down and waited 5 minutes. I rebooted and the OS booted once again and I typed in my password and I got the same message. I tried typing in the wrong password to see if the same message would come up and the login box did it's normal shake to indicate a wrong password so I know it's recognizing my password, it just keeps telling me I am unable to log in. Has anyone EVER heard of this and if so, what should I do??? I can't get it to do anything!!!

When I had this happen at work it was a problem with my hard drive. Not that the hard drive was bad but that something was corrupt. It was a big place with IT guys so I didn't get to see what they did but I was able to get everything back. I would try booting with your OSX CD then checking your hard rive and repairing permissions. See if that helps.

When I had this happen at work it was a problem with my hard drive. Not that the hard drive was bad but that something was corrupt. It was a big place with IT guys so I didn't get to see what they did but I was able to get everything back. I would try booting with your OSX CD then checking your hard rive and repairing permissions. See if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I figured I'd need that disc. I don't have it with me. It's in my dorm room and I don't go back to school until the middle of January. From what I've been reading on the support forums, it sounds like something can be done by booting into single user mode but I don't know what to do once there.

Thanks for the reply. I figured I'd need that disc. I don't have it with me. It's in my dorm room and I don't go back to school until the middle of January. From what I've been reading on the support forums, it sounds like something can be done by booting into single user mode but I don't know what to do once there.

This might be useful:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156

Thanks but it's not that I have forgotten my password. It still works I just get a message that says I am unable to login to my account at this time when I use it. Something went wrong when I did the force shutdown. I think I'm going to go to an Apple Store today and see if a genius can fix this!

If you had FireVault on you might be screwed.

Do you have any other accounts on that system?

Edited by Neil

Applejack would do what you need but I am not sure how to install it without being able to log in. Perhaps create a temporary account log in install applejack then reboot in single user mode [command-s while booting] and run applejack. Then follow the previously posted apple instructions for resetting your password and see if you can log in. Or maybe the apple genius will just fix it for you.

If you had FireVault on you might be screwed.

Do you have any other accounts on that system?

Not necessarily screwed - If you use FileVault there are typically ways at getting into the files, as long as you didn't forget your password. The easiest way is to start the disk in target disk mode while attached to another Mac. I would hope they would try this at the Genius Bar, whether FileVault is being used or not!

- Tim

You could try an Archive and Install and then see if that works.

Well all my local Apple Stores were booked solid today for genius appointments (luckily I called each one before making the trip). So I instead called applecare. The guy I spoke with was very friendly and helpful although the bottom line is, since resetting the pmu and pram did nothing as well as attempting a safe boot, I will need my install discs and he did say I could then do an Archive and Install. As luck would have it they are in my dorm at school which I won't have access to until the 14th. So, in the mean time, I'm stuck using a Dell. At least I know it's booting and my files are most likely safe. I have backups from a couple months ago just in case but probably should've been more on top of that. I'll also look into applejack although I don't know if I trust myself not to screw something up in command line.

Btw, to answer the other questions, yes FileVault was on and no I don't have any other accounts on the computer.

Edited by KD

Well all my local Apple Stores were booked solid today for genius appointments (luckily I called each one before making the trip). So I instead called applecare. The guy I spoke with was very friendly and helpful although the bottom line is, since resetting the pmu and pram did nothing as well as attempting a safe boot, I will need my install discs and he did say I could then do an Archive and Install. As luck would have it they are in my dorm at school which I won't have access to until the 14th. So, in the mean time, I'm stuck using a Dell. At least I know it's booting and my files are most likely safe. I have backups from a couple months ago just in case but probably should've been more on top of that. I'll also look into applejack although I don't know if I trust myself not to screw something up in command line.

Btw, to answer the other questions, yes FileVault was on and no I don't have any other accounts on the computer.

I tried Vilefault and it was an absolute nightmare, slowed my Mac Mini and messed up my User Folder. I'd geuss that File Vault was the culprit. I'd try just making a Sparse Disk Image in Disk Utility with password protection for your important files. Filevault is overkill in my opinion.

I tried Vilefault and it was an absolute nightmare, slowed my Mac Mini and messed up my User Folder. I'd geuss that File Vault was the culprit. I'd try just making a Sparse Disk Image in Disk Utility with password protection for your important files. Filevault is overkill in my opinion.

GnuPGP and PGP are good alternatives to the Disk Image route.

Yes, Filevault scares me to death too. From reading of the experience you had, either Filevault did a number on you or some user files were left open as a result of the freeze-up. It almost sounds to me like the system thinks you are already logged in, thus not letting you in again.

I don't suppose you have more than one account on the machine? You've probably heard this before, but the best way to set up your account(s) is to make a second (regular) user account and use that for everyday activity. You will hardly ever have to log in to your first account, (The Admin account). But in emergencies it is there, and in this case, this may have allowed you to properly log off the other account that froze.

Also, it's a good idea to make a third regular user account, as it comes in handy with troubleshooting and could have been used in the same way mentioned above to get any open accounts logged off. When you are having trouble like this, it's a good idea to stay away from the Admin account. You lose that, and you're pretty well hosed.

Yes, Filevault scares me to death too. From reading of the experience you had, either Filevault did a number on you or some user files were left open as a result of the freeze-up. It almost sounds to me like the system thinks you are already logged in, thus not letting you in again.

I don't suppose you have more than one account on the machine? You've probably heard this before, but the best way to set up your account(s) is to make a second (regular) user account and use that for everyday activity. You will hardly ever have to log in to your first account, (The Admin account). But in emergencies it is there, and in this case, this may have allowed you to properly log off the other account that froze.

Also, it's a good idea to make a third regular user account, as it comes in handy with troubleshooting and could have been used in the same way mentioned above to get any open accounts logged off. When you are having trouble like this, it's a good idea to stay away from the Admin account. You lose that, and you're pretty well hosed.

I actually never thought to do that. I've been a Mac user now for a year and a half and so far have never had anything really bad like this happen. I have certainly learned my lesson though and as soon as I have access to my install discs and fix this, I will certainly set up new user accounts. You know, I almost started to take my Mac for granted, but now that I have been using a Dell for a few days, I have a newfound appreciation for it lol. Thanks for the advice.